Apr 16, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT
It was an outside chance anyway, given the way Sergei Bobrovsky, Henrik Lundqvist, and a couple of other goalies have played this season. But if Montreal’s Carey Price had any shot at winning the Vezina Trophy, the last two games killed it.
Saturday night, in front of a national Canadian TV audience, Price allowed three goals on four Toronto shots before getting pulled.
One of the goals he surrendered looked like this:
Then, last night at the Bell Centre, he let in six goals on 29 Philadelphia shots before once again getting the hook.
Price’s save percentage has fallen to .908, putting him in the lower echelon of the league’s regular starters in that category.
But more importantly for the Canadiens than individual awards and statistics, arguably their most important player has fallen into a funk just weeks before the playoffs are set to start.
Habs defenseman Josh Gorges stuck up for his goalie after Monday’s 7-3 loss to the Flyers.
“You lose a game, (the goalie’s) always the goat, they always blame the goalie because there’s no one there to bail him out. He’s there to bail us out, and he has time and time again. When things go like that we have to do a better job of helping bail him out. He’s been there to bail us out more times than I can remember, he’s won games for us when we shouldn’t have won,” Gorges said, per the Globe and Mail.
Montreal’s next game is Wednesday in Pittsburgh, but Price will start on the bench for that one.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)