Apr 16, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT
It was an outside chance anyway, given the way Sergei Bobrovsky, Henrik Lundqvist, and a couple of other goalies have played this season. But if Montreal’s Carey Price had any shot at winning the Vezina Trophy, the last two games killed it.
Saturday night, in front of a national Canadian TV audience, Price allowed three goals on four Toronto shots before getting pulled.
One of the goals he surrendered looked like this:
Then, last night at the Bell Centre, he let in six goals on 29 Philadelphia shots before once again getting the hook.
Price’s save percentage has fallen to .908, putting him in the lower echelon of the league’s regular starters in that category.
But more importantly for the Canadiens than individual awards and statistics, arguably their most important player has fallen into a funk just weeks before the playoffs are set to start.
Habs defenseman Josh Gorges stuck up for his goalie after Monday’s 7-3 loss to the Flyers.
“You lose a game, (the goalie’s) always the goat, they always blame the goalie because there’s no one there to bail him out. He’s there to bail us out, and he has time and time again. When things go like that we have to do a better job of helping bail him out. He’s been there to bail us out more times than I can remember, he’s won games for us when we shouldn’t have won,” Gorges said, per the Globe and Mail.
Montreal’s next game is Wednesday in Pittsburgh, but Price will start on the bench for that one.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Getting clutch? Capitals reportedly sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 8
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 21
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)