Apr 16, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT
It was an outside chance anyway, given the way Sergei Bobrovsky, Henrik Lundqvist, and a couple of other goalies have played this season. But if Montreal’s Carey Price had any shot at winning the Vezina Trophy, the last two games killed it.
Saturday night, in front of a national Canadian TV audience, Price allowed three goals on four Toronto shots before getting pulled.
One of the goals he surrendered looked like this:
Then, last night at the Bell Centre, he let in six goals on 29 Philadelphia shots before once again getting the hook.
Price’s save percentage has fallen to .908, putting him in the lower echelon of the league’s regular starters in that category.
But more importantly for the Canadiens than individual awards and statistics, arguably their most important player has fallen into a funk just weeks before the playoffs are set to start.
Habs defenseman Josh Gorges stuck up for his goalie after Monday’s 7-3 loss to the Flyers.
“You lose a game, (the goalie’s) always the goat, they always blame the goalie because there’s no one there to bail him out. He’s there to bail us out, and he has time and time again. When things go like that we have to do a better job of helping bail him out. He’s been there to bail us out more times than I can remember, he’s won games for us when we shouldn’t have won,” Gorges said, per the Globe and Mail.
Montreal’s next game is Wednesday in Pittsburgh, but Price will start on the bench for that one.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 8
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (84)