Apr 16, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
The bright side for the St. Louis Blues is they’ve won six of their last eight while surrendering just 11 goals.
On the other hand, they’ve lost two in a row and scored just five goals in their last five games.
Here’s how they accomplished those dueling narratives:
Tonight, the Blues host the Vancouver Canucks in a potential first-round playoff preview.
“I don’t think we can dwell on any of the past games,” said captain David Backes after Sunday’s 2-0 loss to the Blackhawks. “One of the things about the condensed schedule is if you start to dwell on your past or how good you’ve been, how bad you’ve been, quickly it can bite you.”
If the Blues can take a positive from their consecutive losses, perhaps it’s the fact they outshot both Columbus (32-19) and Chicago (30-26).
But if there’s a major concern, it may be the once-lethal power play, which is scoreless in five games and has just two goals in 13 games.
“We’re playing pretty well 5-on-5, our penalty killing really gives us a chance every night, but whether it’s top players scoring or whether it’s a little more contribution from the power play, whatever, that’s the edge,” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. “We have to find that edge.”
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 6
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)