Apr 16, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
The bright side for the St. Louis Blues is they’ve won six of their last eight while surrendering just 11 goals.
On the other hand, they’ve lost two in a row and scored just five goals in their last five games.
Here’s how they accomplished those dueling narratives:
Tonight, the Blues host the Vancouver Canucks in a potential first-round playoff preview.
“I don’t think we can dwell on any of the past games,” said captain David Backes after Sunday’s 2-0 loss to the Blackhawks. “One of the things about the condensed schedule is if you start to dwell on your past or how good you’ve been, how bad you’ve been, quickly it can bite you.”
If the Blues can take a positive from their consecutive losses, perhaps it’s the fact they outshot both Columbus (32-19) and Chicago (30-26).
But if there’s a major concern, it may be the once-lethal power play, which is scoreless in five games and has just two goals in 13 games.
“We’re playing pretty well 5-on-5, our penalty killing really gives us a chance every night, but whether it’s top players scoring or whether it’s a little more contribution from the power play, whatever, that’s the edge,” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. “We have to find that edge.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)