Apr 16, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
The bright side for the St. Louis Blues is they’ve won six of their last eight while surrendering just 11 goals.
On the other hand, they’ve lost two in a row and scored just five goals in their last five games.
Here’s how they accomplished those dueling narratives:
Tonight, the Blues host the Vancouver Canucks in a potential first-round playoff preview.
“I don’t think we can dwell on any of the past games,” said captain David Backes after Sunday’s 2-0 loss to the Blackhawks. “One of the things about the condensed schedule is if you start to dwell on your past or how good you’ve been, how bad you’ve been, quickly it can bite you.”
If the Blues can take a positive from their consecutive losses, perhaps it’s the fact they outshot both Columbus (32-19) and Chicago (30-26).
But if there’s a major concern, it may be the once-lethal power play, which is scoreless in five games and has just two goals in 13 games.
“We’re playing pretty well 5-on-5, our penalty killing really gives us a chance every night, but whether it’s top players scoring or whether it’s a little more contribution from the power play, whatever, that’s the edge,” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. “We have to find that edge.”
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 18
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 14
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 10
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 39
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 24
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 34
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)