Apr 16, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
The bright side for the St. Louis Blues is they’ve won six of their last eight while surrendering just 11 goals.
On the other hand, they’ve lost two in a row and scored just five goals in their last five games.
Here’s how they accomplished those dueling narratives:
Tonight, the Blues host the Vancouver Canucks in a potential first-round playoff preview.
“I don’t think we can dwell on any of the past games,” said captain David Backes after Sunday’s 2-0 loss to the Blackhawks. “One of the things about the condensed schedule is if you start to dwell on your past or how good you’ve been, how bad you’ve been, quickly it can bite you.”
If the Blues can take a positive from their consecutive losses, perhaps it’s the fact they outshot both Columbus (32-19) and Chicago (30-26).
But if there’s a major concern, it may be the once-lethal power play, which is scoreless in five games and has just two goals in 13 games.
“We’re playing pretty well 5-on-5, our penalty killing really gives us a chance every night, but whether it’s top players scoring or whether it’s a little more contribution from the power play, whatever, that’s the edge,” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. “We have to find that edge.”
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)