Apr 16, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
After a season of getting decimated by injury, the Ottawa Senators are rounding into form.
That was the news out of the Canadian capital on Tuesday as defenseman Jared Cowen — who hasn’t played at all this season after undergoing torn labrum surgery — will make his season debut tonight against Carolina.
The 22-year-old was hurt on Oct. 19 while playing for AHL Binghamton. The shoulder injury was initially diagnosed as minor but, after missing seven straight games and showing no signs of improvement, the decision was made for him to go under the knife — a procedure that was supposed to end his season.
At the time, it was a huge blow for the Senators, who expected Cowen to play in the top four this season.
The 6-foot-5, 230-pound rearguard played all 82 games last year — his rookie campaign — scoring 5G-12A-17PTS. He led all Sens defensemen in hits during the regular season, then upped the ante in a seven-game playoff loss to the Rangers, leading all skaters with 28 hits.
In late March, Cowen surprised many by returning to practice, fueling speculation he’d be able to play this year.
The Senators have now returned goalie Craig Anderson and last year’s leading scorer, Milan Michalek, from injury. Reigning Norris winner Erik Karlsson has resumed skating after suffering a lacerated Achilles, and forward Jason Spezza is on the mend from a back injury and could be ready for the playoffs.
Ottawa has seven games remaining in the regular season, including a make-up date for yesterday’s postponed contest against the Bruins, due to the tragedy at the Boston Marathon.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)