Apr 15, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
A two-game winning streak has given the Rangers a 93.5 percent chance of making the playoffs, according to Sports Club Stats.
Those well-timed victories may also help starting goalie Henrik Lundqvist get a rest.
Lundqvist has started 36 out of 41 games this season, including the last seven. The last time backup Martin Biron got the nod was March 30.
The Rangers have seven games left, with ninth-place Winnipeg still nipping at their heels.
Head coach John Tortorella said Monday he expects Biron will see some action down the stretch; he’s just not sure how much.
“You go into the season thinking about trying to keep [Lundqvist] fresh, but when you struggle and you’re as inconsistent as we are, you need to use him in some spots where maybe you’re gonna go with [Biron],” Tortorella said, per the Daily News. “And that certainly isn’t a negative with Marty, but Hank is our number one guy. So for the rest of the year as we progress, we’ll see where we’re at, and we’ll go from there.”
Lundqvist — a candidate to win his second straight Vezina Trophy — will reportedly start again Tuesday in Philadelphia. The 31-year-old is 19-14-3 with a .928 save percentage.
The Rangers return home to play Florida on Thursday, which could present Biron a chance to get back between the pipes.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 11
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 28
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)