Apr 15, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
A two-game winning streak has given the Rangers a 93.5 percent chance of making the playoffs, according to Sports Club Stats.
Those well-timed victories may also help starting goalie Henrik Lundqvist get a rest.
Lundqvist has started 36 out of 41 games this season, including the last seven. The last time backup Martin Biron got the nod was March 30.
The Rangers have seven games left, with ninth-place Winnipeg still nipping at their heels.
Head coach John Tortorella said Monday he expects Biron will see some action down the stretch; he’s just not sure how much.
“You go into the season thinking about trying to keep [Lundqvist] fresh, but when you struggle and you’re as inconsistent as we are, you need to use him in some spots where maybe you’re gonna go with [Biron],” Tortorella said, per the Daily News. “And that certainly isn’t a negative with Marty, but Hank is our number one guy. So for the rest of the year as we progress, we’ll see where we’re at, and we’ll go from there.”
Lundqvist — a candidate to win his second straight Vezina Trophy — will reportedly start again Tuesday in Philadelphia. The 31-year-old is 19-14-3 with a .928 save percentage.
The Rangers return home to play Florida on Thursday, which could present Biron a chance to get back between the pipes.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)