Apr 15, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
A two-game winning streak has given the Rangers a 93.5 percent chance of making the playoffs, according to Sports Club Stats.
Those well-timed victories may also help starting goalie Henrik Lundqvist get a rest.
Lundqvist has started 36 out of 41 games this season, including the last seven. The last time backup Martin Biron got the nod was March 30.
The Rangers have seven games left, with ninth-place Winnipeg still nipping at their heels.
Head coach John Tortorella said Monday he expects Biron will see some action down the stretch; he’s just not sure how much.
“You go into the season thinking about trying to keep [Lundqvist] fresh, but when you struggle and you’re as inconsistent as we are, you need to use him in some spots where maybe you’re gonna go with [Biron],” Tortorella said, per the Daily News. “And that certainly isn’t a negative with Marty, but Hank is our number one guy. So for the rest of the year as we progress, we’ll see where we’re at, and we’ll go from there.”
Lundqvist — a candidate to win his second straight Vezina Trophy — will reportedly start again Tuesday in Philadelphia. The 31-year-old is 19-14-3 with a .928 save percentage.
The Rangers return home to play Florida on Thursday, which could present Biron a chance to get back between the pipes.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)