Apr 15, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
A two-game winning streak has given the Rangers a 93.5 percent chance of making the playoffs, according to Sports Club Stats.
Those well-timed victories may also help starting goalie Henrik Lundqvist get a rest.
Lundqvist has started 36 out of 41 games this season, including the last seven. The last time backup Martin Biron got the nod was March 30.
The Rangers have seven games left, with ninth-place Winnipeg still nipping at their heels.
Head coach John Tortorella said Monday he expects Biron will see some action down the stretch; he’s just not sure how much.
“You go into the season thinking about trying to keep [Lundqvist] fresh, but when you struggle and you’re as inconsistent as we are, you need to use him in some spots where maybe you’re gonna go with [Biron],” Tortorella said, per the Daily News. “And that certainly isn’t a negative with Marty, but Hank is our number one guy. So for the rest of the year as we progress, we’ll see where we’re at, and we’ll go from there.”
Lundqvist — a candidate to win his second straight Vezina Trophy — will reportedly start again Tuesday in Philadelphia. The 31-year-old is 19-14-3 with a .928 save percentage.
The Rangers return home to play Florida on Thursday, which could present Biron a chance to get back between the pipes.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 15
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 25
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 30
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 27
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)