Apr 15, 2013, 11:02 AM EST
Minnesota rookie forward Charlie Coyle won’t face any supplemental discipline for his hit on Columbus’ Artem Anisimov on Saturday night, according to the Minnesota Star-Tribune’s Mike Russo.
Here’s the hit in question:
The incident occurred just 17 seconds into the game, and Coyle was given a five-minute fighting major and match penalty (contact to the head).
Russo reports the NHL deemed Coyle’s hit a “full bodycheck” that didn’t target the head and didn’t lead with the elbow.
Russo also notes that neither Coyle nor Wild head coach Mike Yeo were surprised to learn there’d be no further discipline.
As for the injured party — yesterday, Shawn Mitchell of The Columbus Dispatch reported Anisimov is out indefinitely, a huge blow for the Jackets as he’s tied for the team lead in goals (11) and third in points (18).
Of note, this is the second time this season Coyle has avoided supplemental discipline after a questionable hit.
In late February, he caught Calgary forward Matt Stajan with a blow to the head and was given a five-minute elbowing major:
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)