Apr 15, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
Minnesota rookie forward Charlie Coyle won’t face any supplemental discipline for his hit on Columbus’ Artem Anisimov on Saturday night, according to the Minnesota Star-Tribune’s Mike Russo.
Here’s the hit in question:
The incident occurred just 17 seconds into the game, and Coyle was given a five-minute fighting major and match penalty (contact to the head).
Russo reports the NHL deemed Coyle’s hit a “full bodycheck” that didn’t target the head and didn’t lead with the elbow.
Russo also notes that neither Coyle nor Wild head coach Mike Yeo were surprised to learn there’d be no further discipline.
As for the injured party — yesterday, Shawn Mitchell of The Columbus Dispatch reported Anisimov is out indefinitely, a huge blow for the Jackets as he’s tied for the team lead in goals (11) and third in points (18).
Of note, this is the second time this season Coyle has avoided supplemental discipline after a questionable hit.
In late February, he caught Calgary forward Matt Stajan with a blow to the head and was given a five-minute elbowing major:
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 24
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)