Apr 15, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
Minnesota rookie forward Charlie Coyle won’t face any supplemental discipline for his hit on Columbus’ Artem Anisimov on Saturday night, according to the Minnesota Star-Tribune’s Mike Russo.
Here’s the hit in question:
The incident occurred just 17 seconds into the game, and Coyle was given a five-minute fighting major and match penalty (contact to the head).
Russo reports the NHL deemed Coyle’s hit a “full bodycheck” that didn’t target the head and didn’t lead with the elbow.
Russo also notes that neither Coyle nor Wild head coach Mike Yeo were surprised to learn there’d be no further discipline.
As for the injured party — yesterday, Shawn Mitchell of The Columbus Dispatch reported Anisimov is out indefinitely, a huge blow for the Jackets as he’s tied for the team lead in goals (11) and third in points (18).
Of note, this is the second time this season Coyle has avoided supplemental discipline after a questionable hit.
In late February, he caught Calgary forward Matt Stajan with a blow to the head and was given a five-minute elbowing major:
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)