Apr 15, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT
NBCSN’s ongoing coverage of the 2013 campaign will continue tonight when the Chicago Blackhawks host the Dallas Stars at the United Center at 8:00 p.m. ET.
The Detroit Red Wings won last night. Now the Stars have to respond.
Dallas had the slimmest lead on the eighth seed prior to Detroit’s win and the Stars can reclaim it again with a victory against Chicago tonight. Beating the Blackhawks this season is a tall order, but the odds haven’t stopped Dallas lately.
How often do you see a team fully embrace the seller role in the weeks leading up to the trade deadline and still somehow make the playoffs? The Stars dealt Brenden Morrow, Derek Roy, and Jaromir Jagr for picks and prospects and those that were left seemed to haven taken it as a challenge.
They’ve won five straight games, three on the road and four against teams that currently hold a playoff spot, to force their way back into the competition. With three of their top forwards now playing for other teams, 22-year-old rookie Alex Chiasson has stepped up with six goals and seven points in six career games.
All the same, a five-game winning streak isn’t exactly the type of thing that’s likely to intimidate the Chicago Blackhawks. They’re on one right now, although they’ve obviously been on far better streaks this season.
Chicago is 32-5-4 in 2013 and the only real question left is whether or not they’ll win the Presidents’ Trophy. With little else left to accomplish before the playoffs, Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville wants to see them fight for it.
“It’s a nice achievement, but we still want to finish first in other categories until the end of the year. That’s our motivation,” coach Joel Quenneville told CSN Chicago after his team won the Central Division title. “Let’s keep pushing forward and look for more consistency in our game.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)