Apr 15, 2013, 10:58 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks beat Nashville 5-2 on Monday, officially killing the Predators’ playoff hopes in the process.
Barry Trotz’s bunch didn’t exactly go down swinging. This defeat marks their seventh consecutive regulation loss. They’ve only won one game in their last 11 tries (1-8-2).
It’s tempting to say that it all truly started to fall apart after the Minnesota Wild took a 2-1 shootout win in Ryan Suter‘s return to Nashville on March 9. The Predators entered that game with a 10-9-5 record. Nashville went 5-12-3 since then.
However you frame the story, it’s clear that the Predators have endured a miserable season.
As one might guess, offense was a problem – they’re averaging the least amount of goals per game in the NHL – but the team hasn’t been very strong on defense, either. Only two Western Conference teams – the Calgary Flames (141 goals allowed) and Colorado Avalanche (131 goals allowed) – have given up more goals in 2013 than the usually stingy Preds.
Even $7 million goaltender Pekka Rinne has had his struggles this season.
If there’s a bright side to look on, it’s that young players such as Colin Wilson and Gabriel Bourque are starting to become go-to guys on the team (at least when they’re healthy). GM David Poile might get a chance to add another blue chip talent with an unusually high pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, too.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)