Apr 15, 2013, 2:23 PM EST
The New York Islanders will get some defensive reinforcements down the stretch.
That was the word out of Long Island on Monday as head coach Jack Capuano said injured defenseman Brian Strait is “close” to returning to action.
Strait, 25, was put on injured reserve in mid-February after breaking his ankle in a game against the Flyers.
According to NHL.com’s Brian Compton, Strait will “definitely” play before the end of the regular season.
Pittburgh’s third-round selection (65th overall) at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, Strait was plucked off waivers from the Pens the day prior to New York’s season-opening loss to New Jersey and appeared in 15 games for the Isles before getting hurt, registering four assists with a plus-3 rating while averaging 17:54 in ice time.
On Jan. 31, the Islanders signed Strait to a three-year, $2.3 million extension.
New York currently sits seventh in the Eastern Conference with 47 points, three clear of ninth-place Winnipeg. They have six games remaining on their schedule, which includes a five-game road trip to close out the year in Toronto, Winnipeg, Carolina, Philadelphia and Buffalo.
Update: The Isles have activated Strait from injured reserve.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)