Apr 15, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
The New Jersey carried much of the play against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Monday but their misery continued with a 2-0 loss, pushing the Devils’ losing streak to 10 games (0-6-4).
It’s pretty easy to argue that the Devils suffered from lousy luck tonight, though. They nearly tripled the Buds’ shots on goal, firing 32 to Toronto’s 13. They couldn’t beat James Reimer once, however, prompting a flustered response from head coach Peter DeBoer to the Newark Star-Ledger’s Rich Chere.
“Absurd is a good word for it,” DeBoer said. “I don’t have an answer. I know the guys are emptying the tank.”
“It’s kind of a sickening feeling,” Zajac said. “I feel like we deserve better.”
Chere spells out just how dry the Devils’ offense has been.
Devils have failed to score in 120 minutes, 37 seconds. Their power play has one goal in 31 advantages.
— Rich Chere (@Ledger_NJDevils) April 16, 2013
Martin Brodeur insists that he hasn’t lost faith in his team, but it’s possible that it’s already too late for the Devils to turn things around.
While the Devils face long odds to avoid an early vacation, the Maple Leafs pushed their standings total to 53 points, solidifying their spot in fifth place and making a playoff berth seem that much more likely.
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 0
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)