Apr 15, 2013, 11:15 PM EST
The New Jersey carried much of the play against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Monday but their misery continued with a 2-0 loss, pushing the Devils’ losing streak to 10 games (0-6-4).
It’s pretty easy to argue that the Devils suffered from lousy luck tonight, though. They nearly tripled the Buds’ shots on goal, firing 32 to Toronto’s 13. They couldn’t beat James Reimer once, however, prompting a flustered response from head coach Peter DeBoer to the Newark Star-Ledger’s Rich Chere.
“Absurd is a good word for it,” DeBoer said. “I don’t have an answer. I know the guys are emptying the tank.”
“It’s kind of a sickening feeling,” Zajac said. “I feel like we deserve better.”
Chere spells out just how dry the Devils’ offense has been.
Devils have failed to score in 120 minutes, 37 seconds. Their power play has one goal in 31 advantages.
— Rich Chere (@Ledger_NJDevils) April 16, 2013
Martin Brodeur insists that he hasn’t lost faith in his team, but it’s possible that it’s already too late for the Devils to turn things around.
While the Devils face long odds to avoid an early vacation, the Maple Leafs pushed their standings total to 53 points, solidifying their spot in fifth place and making a playoff berth seem that much more likely.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 41
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)