Apr 15, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
The New Jersey carried much of the play against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Monday but their misery continued with a 2-0 loss, pushing the Devils’ losing streak to 10 games (0-6-4).
It’s pretty easy to argue that the Devils suffered from lousy luck tonight, though. They nearly tripled the Buds’ shots on goal, firing 32 to Toronto’s 13. They couldn’t beat James Reimer once, however, prompting a flustered response from head coach Peter DeBoer to the Newark Star-Ledger’s Rich Chere.
“Absurd is a good word for it,” DeBoer said. “I don’t have an answer. I know the guys are emptying the tank.”
“It’s kind of a sickening feeling,” Zajac said. “I feel like we deserve better.”
Chere spells out just how dry the Devils’ offense has been.
Devils have failed to score in 120 minutes, 37 seconds. Their power play has one goal in 31 advantages.
— Rich Chere (@Ledger_NJDevils) April 16, 2013
Martin Brodeur insists that he hasn’t lost faith in his team, but it’s possible that it’s already too late for the Devils to turn things around.
While the Devils face long odds to avoid an early vacation, the Maple Leafs pushed their standings total to 53 points, solidifying their spot in fifth place and making a playoff berth seem that much more likely.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)