Apr 15, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
The New Jersey carried much of the play against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Monday but their misery continued with a 2-0 loss, pushing the Devils’ losing streak to 10 games (0-6-4).
It’s pretty easy to argue that the Devils suffered from lousy luck tonight, though. They nearly tripled the Buds’ shots on goal, firing 32 to Toronto’s 13. They couldn’t beat James Reimer once, however, prompting a flustered response from head coach Peter DeBoer to the Newark Star-Ledger’s Rich Chere.
“Absurd is a good word for it,” DeBoer said. “I don’t have an answer. I know the guys are emptying the tank.”
“It’s kind of a sickening feeling,” Zajac said. “I feel like we deserve better.”
Chere spells out just how dry the Devils’ offense has been.
Devils have failed to score in 120 minutes, 37 seconds. Their power play has one goal in 31 advantages.
— Rich Chere (@Ledger_NJDevils) April 16, 2013
Martin Brodeur insists that he hasn’t lost faith in his team, but it’s possible that it’s already too late for the Devils to turn things around.
While the Devils face long odds to avoid an early vacation, the Maple Leafs pushed their standings total to 53 points, solidifying their spot in fifth place and making a playoff berth seem that much more likely.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 26
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)