Apr 15, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Here’s hoping Mattias Ekholm’s third NHL contest is better than his second.
On Monday, Nashville announced it had called up Ekholm to replace injured defenseman Kevin Klein — an announcement that raised a few eyebrows around the Music City.
It was Oct. 2011 when Ekholm last played for the Preds — a 5-1 loss to Vancouver, after which his performance was described as “horrible, just horrible” by head coach Barry Trotz.
That game also prompted this all-timer from Trotz:
“You’re going to have to line up against the best in the league. If you’re scared of that, get a dog.”
As mentioned, it was just Ekholm’s second game in the NHL.
The next day, he was sent back to his Swedish league team.
The 22-year-old returned to North America this season and spent the entire year with AHL Milwaukee, where he posted solid numbers (9G-18A-27PTS).
Now it sounds like Ekholm’s long-awaited return to the NHL will happen tonight, as he’s likely to draw into the lineup for Klein.
And, in the perfect kind of irony even Alanis Morissette couldn’t miss, guess what?
The Preds are playing Vancouver.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 30
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)