Apr 15, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Here’s hoping Mattias Ekholm’s third NHL contest is better than his second.
On Monday, Nashville announced it had called up Ekholm to replace injured defenseman Kevin Klein — an announcement that raised a few eyebrows around the Music City.
It was Oct. 2011 when Ekholm last played for the Preds — a 5-1 loss to Vancouver, after which his performance was described as “horrible, just horrible” by head coach Barry Trotz.
That game also prompted this all-timer from Trotz:
“You’re going to have to line up against the best in the league. If you’re scared of that, get a dog.”
As mentioned, it was just Ekholm’s second game in the NHL.
The next day, he was sent back to his Swedish league team.
The 22-year-old returned to North America this season and spent the entire year with AHL Milwaukee, where he posted solid numbers (9G-18A-27PTS).
Now it sounds like Ekholm’s long-awaited return to the NHL will happen tonight, as he’s likely to draw into the lineup for Klein.
And, in the perfect kind of irony even Alanis Morissette couldn’t miss, guess what?
The Preds are playing Vancouver.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)