Apr 15, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
Here’s hoping Mattias Ekholm’s third NHL contest is better than his second.
On Monday, Nashville announced it had called up Ekholm to replace injured defenseman Kevin Klein — an announcement that raised a few eyebrows around the Music City.
It was Oct. 2011 when Ekholm last played for the Preds — a 5-1 loss to Vancouver, after which his performance was described as “horrible, just horrible” by head coach Barry Trotz.
That game also prompted this all-timer from Trotz:
“You’re going to have to line up against the best in the league. If you’re scared of that, get a dog.”
As mentioned, it was just Ekholm’s second game in the NHL.
The next day, he was sent back to his Swedish league team.
The 22-year-old returned to North America this season and spent the entire year with AHL Milwaukee, where he posted solid numbers (9G-18A-27PTS).
Now it sounds like Ekholm’s long-awaited return to the NHL will happen tonight, as he’s likely to draw into the lineup for Klein.
And, in the perfect kind of irony even Alanis Morissette couldn’t miss, guess what?
The Preds are playing Vancouver.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)