Apr 15, 2013, 11:39 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have reportedly fired general manager Steve Tambellini, according to TSN’s Ryan Rishaug.
Tambellini, 54, has been the GM in Edmonton since 2008.
The team has failed to make the playoffs during his four seasons on the job, and he’s been in the unique position of having the first overall pick at the NHL Entry Draft three years in a row, selecting Taylor Hall (2010), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (2011) and Nail Yakupov (2012).
This year, the Oilers seemed primed to make a run at the postseason but have faltered badly of late, losing five straight, including a disappointing 4-1 loss to provincial rival Calgary on Saturday.
Oilers President of Hockey Operations Kevin Lowe has announced he’ll hold a press conference later this morning, at which time the news of Tambellini’s firing is expected to be made official.
According to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman, Tambellini will be replaced by former Oilers coach Craig MacTavish who, ironically enough, was fired by Tambellini in 2009…but was hired back by Tambellini in 2012 as part of the club’s Hockey Operations department.
Friedman also reports former Columbus GM Scott Howson, who had been working in Edmonton’s scouting department, will also be promoted to an “expanded role” in the front office.
Oilers make it official…
#Oilers announce Craig MacTavish as their new General Manager, Scott Howson named Senior VP of Hockey Operations
— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) April 15, 2013
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39