Apr 15, 2013, 11:39 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have reportedly fired general manager Steve Tambellini, according to TSN’s Ryan Rishaug.
Tambellini, 54, has been the GM in Edmonton since 2008.
The team has failed to make the playoffs during his four seasons on the job, and he’s been in the unique position of having the first overall pick at the NHL Entry Draft three years in a row, selecting Taylor Hall (2010), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (2011) and Nail Yakupov (2012).
This year, the Oilers seemed primed to make a run at the postseason but have faltered badly of late, losing five straight, including a disappointing 4-1 loss to provincial rival Calgary on Saturday.
Oilers President of Hockey Operations Kevin Lowe has announced he’ll hold a press conference later this morning, at which time the news of Tambellini’s firing is expected to be made official.
According to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman, Tambellini will be replaced by former Oilers coach Craig MacTavish who, ironically enough, was fired by Tambellini in 2009…but was hired back by Tambellini in 2012 as part of the club’s Hockey Operations department.
Friedman also reports former Columbus GM Scott Howson, who had been working in Edmonton’s scouting department, will also be promoted to an “expanded role” in the front office.
Oilers make it official…
#Oilers announce Craig MacTavish as their new General Manager, Scott Howson named Senior VP of Hockey Operations
— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) April 15, 2013
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 1
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)