Apr 15, 2013, 8:12 PM EST
It’s already official that the Colorado Avalanche’s season will end on April 27, but it looks like head coach Joe Sacco will stay busy. He was named the bench boss for the United States in the upcoming 2013 IIHF World Hockey Championships, according to the Denver Post.
The tournament takes place from May 3-19 in Helsinki, Finland and Stockholm, Sweden.
During four seasons behind the Avalanche bench, Sacco has compiled a 128-131-29 coaching record, including this season’s 14-22-6 mark. Colorado made the playoffs one time during that run, losing in the first round in 2010.
Want more reasoning behind the decision? USA Hockey maps out his credentials:
Sacco has vast experience on the international stage as both a player and coach. He served as an assistant coach for the U.S. Men’s National Team at both the 2009 and 2010 International Ice Hockey Federation Men’s World Championship. As a player, he competed in the 1992 Olympic Winter Games in Albertville, France, and helped the U.S. to a fourth-place finish. He also played in six IIHF Men’s World Championships (1990-92, 1994, 1996, 2002), was a member of U.S. Men’s National Select Team that competed in the 2002 Deutschland Cup, and skated for Team USA at the 1989 IIHF World Junior Championship.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 8
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 9
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)