Apr 15, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
It’s already official that the Colorado Avalanche’s season will end on April 27, but it looks like head coach Joe Sacco will stay busy. He was named the bench boss for the United States in the upcoming 2013 IIHF World Hockey Championships, according to the Denver Post.
The tournament takes place from May 3-19 in Helsinki, Finland and Stockholm, Sweden.
During four seasons behind the Avalanche bench, Sacco has compiled a 128-131-29 coaching record, including this season’s 14-22-6 mark. Colorado made the playoffs one time during that run, losing in the first round in 2010.
Want more reasoning behind the decision? USA Hockey maps out his credentials:
Sacco has vast experience on the international stage as both a player and coach. He served as an assistant coach for the U.S. Men’s National Team at both the 2009 and 2010 International Ice Hockey Federation Men’s World Championship. As a player, he competed in the 1992 Olympic Winter Games in Albertville, France, and helped the U.S. to a fourth-place finish. He also played in six IIHF Men’s World Championships (1990-92, 1994, 1996, 2002), was a member of U.S. Men’s National Select Team that competed in the 2002 Deutschland Cup, and skated for Team USA at the 1989 IIHF World Junior Championship.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 16
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)