Apr 15, 2013, 8:12 PM EST
It’s already official that the Colorado Avalanche’s season will end on April 27, but it looks like head coach Joe Sacco will stay busy. He was named the bench boss for the United States in the upcoming 2013 IIHF World Hockey Championships, according to the Denver Post.
The tournament takes place from May 3-19 in Helsinki, Finland and Stockholm, Sweden.
During four seasons behind the Avalanche bench, Sacco has compiled a 128-131-29 coaching record, including this season’s 14-22-6 mark. Colorado made the playoffs one time during that run, losing in the first round in 2010.
Want more reasoning behind the decision? USA Hockey maps out his credentials:
Sacco has vast experience on the international stage as both a player and coach. He served as an assistant coach for the U.S. Men’s National Team at both the 2009 and 2010 International Ice Hockey Federation Men’s World Championship. As a player, he competed in the 1992 Olympic Winter Games in Albertville, France, and helped the U.S. to a fourth-place finish. He also played in six IIHF Men’s World Championships (1990-92, 1994, 1996, 2002), was a member of U.S. Men’s National Select Team that competed in the 2002 Deutschland Cup, and skated for Team USA at the 1989 IIHF World Junior Championship.
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 13
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 12
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)