Apr 15, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
It’s already official that the Colorado Avalanche’s season will end on April 27, but it looks like head coach Joe Sacco will stay busy. He was named the bench boss for the United States in the upcoming 2013 IIHF World Hockey Championships, according to the Denver Post.
The tournament takes place from May 3-19 in Helsinki, Finland and Stockholm, Sweden.
During four seasons behind the Avalanche bench, Sacco has compiled a 128-131-29 coaching record, including this season’s 14-22-6 mark. Colorado made the playoffs one time during that run, losing in the first round in 2010.
Want more reasoning behind the decision? USA Hockey maps out his credentials:
Sacco has vast experience on the international stage as both a player and coach. He served as an assistant coach for the U.S. Men’s National Team at both the 2009 and 2010 International Ice Hockey Federation Men’s World Championship. As a player, he competed in the 1992 Olympic Winter Games in Albertville, France, and helped the U.S. to a fourth-place finish. He also played in six IIHF Men’s World Championships (1990-92, 1994, 1996, 2002), was a member of U.S. Men’s National Select Team that competed in the 2002 Deutschland Cup, and skated for Team USA at the 1989 IIHF World Junior Championship.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)