Apr 14, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT
Remember when Edmonton was in eighth place in the West? Feels like it was a while ago now, but after the Oilers dropped a 4-1 decision to lowly rival Calgary last night reality is hitting Edmonton.
“Not a lot of won battles, won races … just not the hockey we want to play. We have to be proud of what we’re doing here — that team (Calgary) is doing it,” said Hall. “We’re the Oilers, we get paid a lot of money to do this. We have to come and put our hard-hats on, work and compete and see what happens. We can do as many systems as we want and we can practice, but it comes down to battles.”
Not sure if hard-hats would’ve helped the Oilers but goals and better defense and goaltending from Nikolai Khabibulin would’ve done a world of good against the Flames.
We know they’re a young team and the ups and downs will happen, but losing five in a row after reaching eighth place for a day makes for a disheartening tease. Getting outscored 17-4 over those five games means they’re not doing much of anything right in the end.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)