Apr 14, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT
Remember when Edmonton was in eighth place in the West? Feels like it was a while ago now, but after the Oilers dropped a 4-1 decision to lowly rival Calgary last night reality is hitting Edmonton.
“Not a lot of won battles, won races … just not the hockey we want to play. We have to be proud of what we’re doing here — that team (Calgary) is doing it,” said Hall. “We’re the Oilers, we get paid a lot of money to do this. We have to come and put our hard-hats on, work and compete and see what happens. We can do as many systems as we want and we can practice, but it comes down to battles.”
Not sure if hard-hats would’ve helped the Oilers but goals and better defense and goaltending from Nikolai Khabibulin would’ve done a world of good against the Flames.
We know they’re a young team and the ups and downs will happen, but losing five in a row after reaching eighth place for a day makes for a disheartening tease. Getting outscored 17-4 over those five games means they’re not doing much of anything right in the end.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7