Apr 14, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT
Remember when Edmonton was in eighth place in the West? Feels like it was a while ago now, but after the Oilers dropped a 4-1 decision to lowly rival Calgary last night reality is hitting Edmonton.
“Not a lot of won battles, won races … just not the hockey we want to play. We have to be proud of what we’re doing here — that team (Calgary) is doing it,” said Hall. “We’re the Oilers, we get paid a lot of money to do this. We have to come and put our hard-hats on, work and compete and see what happens. We can do as many systems as we want and we can practice, but it comes down to battles.”
Not sure if hard-hats would’ve helped the Oilers but goals and better defense and goaltending from Nikolai Khabibulin would’ve done a world of good against the Flames.
We know they’re a young team and the ups and downs will happen, but losing five in a row after reaching eighth place for a day makes for a disheartening tease. Getting outscored 17-4 over those five games means they’re not doing much of anything right in the end.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)