Apr 14, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres are still long shots to make the playoffs, but they did all they could this weekend.
After defeating the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday, Buffalo earned a 3-1 win over Tampa Bay tonight.
Once again Sabres goaltender Jhonas Enroth was a big factor, stopping 32 of 33 shots. Buffalo decided to go with its backup netminder following his 29-save shutout on Saturday.
Tyler Ennis got the Sabres on the board first with a power-play goal just 4:09 into the game. The 23-year-old had struggled recently with no points and a minus-seven rating in his previous seven contests. Jochen Hecht accounted for the game-winner.
On the Lightning’s side, this game was unfortunately more than just a loss. A mere day after his three-assist night against the Washington Capitals, forward Tom Pyatt suffered an upper-body injury, according to the Tampa Tribune’s Erik Erlendsson.
With this win, Buffalo is still four points shy of eighth place with just five games left to play. Even if the Sabres win all of their remaining matches, they still might miss the playoffs, but at least with tonight’s victory they get to wonder “what if” for a little bit longer.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)