Apr 14, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
18-year-old forward Filip Forsberg logged 18:37 minutes in his debut with the Nashville Predators on Sunday, but he was on the ice for two Detroit goals as the Red Wings sailed to a 3-0 victory over the Nashville Predators.
After losing three straight games and with their 21-season playoffs streak in serious jeopardy, the Red Wings badly needed this win. Fortunately they came face-to-face with a Nashville Predators team that has been struggling offensively.
Detroit goaltender Jimmy Howard handed the Nashville Predators their third shutout loss in five games and fourth in their last nine contests. Nashville has been in a free fall for a while now and have all-but been eliminated for the playoffs.
The Red Wings on the other hand might be playing hockey into May. They entered this game tied with the Dallas Stars in points, but in ninth place because of the tiebreaker. The Red Wings still have a long road ahead of them if they want to advance to the postseason, but this win is a big step in the right direction.
The Red Wings will get two days to rest before they play in Calgary on Wednesday.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)