Apr 14, 2013, 10:23 PM EST
18-year-old forward Filip Forsberg logged 18:37 minutes in his debut with the Nashville Predators on Sunday, but he was on the ice for two Detroit goals as the Red Wings sailed to a 3-0 victory over the Nashville Predators.
After losing three straight games and with their 21-season playoffs streak in serious jeopardy, the Red Wings badly needed this win. Fortunately they came face-to-face with a Nashville Predators team that has been struggling offensively.
Detroit goaltender Jimmy Howard handed the Nashville Predators their third shutout loss in five games and fourth in their last nine contests. Nashville has been in a free fall for a while now and have all-but been eliminated for the playoffs.
The Red Wings on the other hand might be playing hockey into May. They entered this game tied with the Dallas Stars in points, but in ninth place because of the tiebreaker. The Red Wings still have a long road ahead of them if they want to advance to the postseason, but this win is a big step in the right direction.
The Red Wings will get two days to rest before they play in Calgary on Wednesday.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 3
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 32
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)