Apr 14, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
18-year-old forward Filip Forsberg logged 18:37 minutes in his debut with the Nashville Predators on Sunday, but he was on the ice for two Detroit goals as the Red Wings sailed to a 3-0 victory over the Nashville Predators.
After losing three straight games and with their 21-season playoffs streak in serious jeopardy, the Red Wings badly needed this win. Fortunately they came face-to-face with a Nashville Predators team that has been struggling offensively.
Detroit goaltender Jimmy Howard handed the Nashville Predators their third shutout loss in five games and fourth in their last nine contests. Nashville has been in a free fall for a while now and have all-but been eliminated for the playoffs.
The Red Wings on the other hand might be playing hockey into May. They entered this game tied with the Dallas Stars in points, but in ninth place because of the tiebreaker. The Red Wings still have a long road ahead of them if they want to advance to the postseason, but this win is a big step in the right direction.
The Red Wings will get two days to rest before they play in Calgary on Wednesday.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)