Apr 14, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
18-year-old forward Filip Forsberg logged 18:37 minutes in his debut with the Nashville Predators on Sunday, but he was on the ice for two Detroit goals as the Red Wings sailed to a 3-0 victory over the Nashville Predators.
After losing three straight games and with their 21-season playoffs streak in serious jeopardy, the Red Wings badly needed this win. Fortunately they came face-to-face with a Nashville Predators team that has been struggling offensively.
Detroit goaltender Jimmy Howard handed the Nashville Predators their third shutout loss in five games and fourth in their last nine contests. Nashville has been in a free fall for a while now and have all-but been eliminated for the playoffs.
The Red Wings on the other hand might be playing hockey into May. They entered this game tied with the Dallas Stars in points, but in ninth place because of the tiebreaker. The Red Wings still have a long road ahead of them if they want to advance to the postseason, but this win is a big step in the right direction.
The Red Wings will get two days to rest before they play in Calgary on Wednesday.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 54
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (54)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)