Apr 14, 2013, 12:13 AM EDT
At this point, the Chicago Blackhawks might grasp a bit for motivation before each game, at least compared to other teams. Sunday’s NHL on NBC match against the St. Louis Blues might dangle an extra carrot or two, though.
Most importantly, the Blues still need to cement a playoff spot that the Blackhawks clinched a week ago.
If thwarting their division rivals isn’t enough, then the Blackhawks can set an individual target: Brian Elliott.
Since returning from his conditioning stint in the AHL, Elliott seemingly transformed from the below-average backup he was in the beginning of the season to the guy who stunned the hockey world by becoming at All-Star last season.
He’s about a period short* of claiming the longest shutout streak in Blues’ franchise history, but the Blackhawks high-flying attack might not make that very easy.
Only the Pittsburgh Penguins have scored more goals than Chicago this season, and when you consider all the injuries that have besieged the East’s top team, one could argue that the ‘Hawks might have the most dangerous offense at this very moment.
Yet while that potent attack will challenge Elliott to make history, it’s the team’s overall dominance that must leave Ken Hitchcock green with envy. The Blackhawks have allowed an NHL-low 85 goals this season, signifying the kind of own-zone presence many would expect from St. Louis.
It all shapes up to be a huge test for a Blues team that some might pick to be a dangerous dark horse candidate. You can get an idea about how the Blues measure up against one of the league’s best teams by tuning in to NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET on Sunday.
* – Elliott’s streak is at 189 minutes and 29 seconds; the Blues’ record is 201:24. He might even set his sights on Brian Boucher’s league-wide record of 332:01, although that can’t happen on Sunday.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Shea Weber’s shot from earlier probably didn’t help.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We have to keep scoring goals. We have to keep playing this way,” said Adam Henrique.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
He meant he doesn’t want to be traded.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Fire up the comments section!
Mar 10, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
But how does creating a long change in overtime sound?
Mar 10, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Starting tonight in Anaheim.
Mar 10, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
A home game vs. Washington, which will also mark Dustin Penner’s return to Anaheim.
Mar 10, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
“It’s a bad position, I guess.”
Mar 10, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Veteran winger won’t play tonight vs. Phoenix.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 10
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 28
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)