Apr 14, 2013, 6:13 PM EST
Nashville has no realistic hope of making the playoffs this season, but Predators fans will get a glimpse of the team’s future tonight.
18-year-old forward Filip Forsberg, who the Predators acquired from the Washington Capitals in exchange for Martin Erat, will make his season debut vs the Detroit Red Wings, according to NHL.com. To make matters more interesting, he won’t be eased into the lineup.
Forsberg is projected to play alongside David Legwand and Taylor Beck on Nashville’s first line. He will also be part of Nashville’s top power-play unit.
“You can see the skillset,” Predators coach Barry Trotz said. “He shoots the puck really hard. You can see he has good mobility for a young guy. .. (He has) great, great potential and that’s always a dangerous word because it means he hasn’t done anything.”
Nothing yet, but the Predators seem more than willing to give Forsberg every opportunity to prove that he can live up to the hype.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)