Apr 14, 2013, 3:13 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks beat the St. Louis Blues at their own game on Sunday, although really, playing strong defense seems like it’s a huge part of the West’s top team’s system, too.
Either way, Chicago beat St. Louis 2-0 in a tight, tense game. Let’s get to the talking points.
- The Blackhawks scored early in the second period, ending Brian Elliott‘s shutout streak at 214:00. That’s a new Blues franchise record. How impressed are you buy Elliott’s run? Will he still be a factor in the regular season and/or playoffs?
- Jonathan Toews shook off that David Backes hit. How much trouble is Chicago in if “Captain Serious” ends up being hurt upon further inspection, though?
- This seems to be a good weekend for rivalries as this contest and Saturday’s New York Rangers-New York Islanders match showed that historic disputes are revving back up. Where does Chicago vs. St. Louis rank for you in the league’s best feuds?
- Who should be the Blackhawks’ go-to goalie: Corey Crawford (30-save shutout today) or Ray Emery (just one loss this season)?
- Which potential eighth seed matchup is most ideal for Chicago? Who would the Blackhawks be glad to avoid?
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 1
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 22
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)