Apr 14, 2013, 10:34 AM EST
You don’t ever expect there to be beef between the Blue Jackets and Wild, but they do have something in common in Columbus coach Todd Richards. He once unsuccessfully led Minnesota before being relieved of duties and landing on his feet with the Jackets.
When Columbus knocked off Minnesota 3-2 in a shootout last night, he expressed his gratitude for the play of his goalie, Sergei Bobrovsky, and managed to take a poke at his former goaltender in the process as Michael Russo of The Star Tribune shares.
“Our goalie was better than their goalie … by a wide margin,” said former Wild coach Todd Richards, undoubtedly a back-handed slap at his former goalie, Niklas Backstrom.
Them’s fightin’ words but they were true in last night’s game as Bobrovsky stopped 39 shots to help the team win. They’re also true in the big picture when comparing stats to how he’s played this season compared to Backstrom’s two seasons under Richards in Minnesota.
That won’t do much to help keep fans in Minnesota quiet over their former coach taking a swipe at their goalie.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)