Apr 13, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
It’s easy to get annoyed by the old joke “I went to see a fight and then a hockey game broke out,” but the Boston Bruins and Carolina Hurricanes tested the limits early on Saturday.
The first period of tonight’s game featured three fights. While Zdeno Chara dropping the gloves would headline almost any card, let’s go ahead and post them in order, so you can really get an idea of the “narrative.”*
A little more than four minutes later, Chara scuffled with Jay Harrison:
(Apparently those two don’t especially like each other. Hockey Fight’s Encyclopedic database shows that they also engaged in some fisticuffs on Oct. 18, 2011.)
Finally, Gregory Campbell danced with Nicolas Blanchard with about 30 seconds left in the period:
It’s believed that some hockey was also played in between those bouts, but we’ll have to do a little more research to confirm those rumblings.
* Using the word “narrative” like you would when describing the plot of just about any Jean Claude Van Damme movie.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 20
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 10
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)