Apr 13, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
It’s easy to get annoyed by the old joke “I went to see a fight and then a hockey game broke out,” but the Boston Bruins and Carolina Hurricanes tested the limits early on Saturday.
The first period of tonight’s game featured three fights. While Zdeno Chara dropping the gloves would headline almost any card, let’s go ahead and post them in order, so you can really get an idea of the “narrative.”*
A little more than four minutes later, Chara scuffled with Jay Harrison:
(Apparently those two don’t especially like each other. Hockey Fight’s Encyclopedic database shows that they also engaged in some fisticuffs on Oct. 18, 2011.)
Finally, Gregory Campbell danced with Nicolas Blanchard with about 30 seconds left in the period:
It’s believed that some hockey was also played in between those bouts, but we’ll have to do a little more research to confirm those rumblings.
* Using the word “narrative” like you would when describing the plot of just about any Jean Claude Van Damme movie.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)