Apr 13, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
It’s easy to get annoyed by the old joke “I went to see a fight and then a hockey game broke out,” but the Boston Bruins and Carolina Hurricanes tested the limits early on Saturday.
The first period of tonight’s game featured three fights. While Zdeno Chara dropping the gloves would headline almost any card, let’s go ahead and post them in order, so you can really get an idea of the “narrative.”*
A little more than four minutes later, Chara scuffled with Jay Harrison:
(Apparently those two don’t especially like each other. Hockey Fight’s Encyclopedic database shows that they also engaged in some fisticuffs on Oct. 18, 2011.)
Finally, Gregory Campbell danced with Nicolas Blanchard with about 30 seconds left in the period:
It’s believed that some hockey was also played in between those bouts, but we’ll have to do a little more research to confirm those rumblings.
* Using the word “narrative” like you would when describing the plot of just about any Jean Claude Van Damme movie.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 1
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 28
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 8
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)