Apr 13, 2013, 8:37 PM EST
It’s easy to get annoyed by the old joke “I went to see a fight and then a hockey game broke out,” but the Boston Bruins and Carolina Hurricanes tested the limits early on Saturday.
The first period of tonight’s game featured three fights. While Zdeno Chara dropping the gloves would headline almost any card, let’s go ahead and post them in order, so you can really get an idea of the “narrative.”*
A little more than four minutes later, Chara scuffled with Jay Harrison:
(Apparently those two don’t especially like each other. Hockey Fight’s Encyclopedic database shows that they also engaged in some fisticuffs on Oct. 18, 2011.)
Finally, Gregory Campbell danced with Nicolas Blanchard with about 30 seconds left in the period:
It’s believed that some hockey was also played in between those bouts, but we’ll have to do a little more research to confirm those rumblings.
* Using the word “narrative” like you would when describing the plot of just about any Jean Claude Van Damme movie.
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 1
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 18
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 71
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 66
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)