Apr 13, 2013, 1:26 AM EDT
Thursday, the Detroit Red Wings had a one-goal lead, only to lose in a shootout. One point in the bag, another crucial point lost.
Friday saw a similar scenario for the Red Wings, this time the opponent was the Chicago Blackhawks.
The Red Wings held a 2-1 lead into the late stages of the third period, before Jonathan Toews scored with 2:57 remaining to send the game to overtime. the Red Wings ended up losing 3-2 in the shootout.
Two days and two important points lost.
Instead of distancing themselves a little bit from the those chasing them in the standings, the Red Wings remain in striking distance of at least three teams as the battle for playoff spots continues.
The Red Wings still hold down the eighth and final playoff spot, but just barely. They are two points ahead of the Dallas Stars, Phoenix Coyotes and Columbus Blue Jackets. It is very possible the Red Wings do not qualify for the post-season.
The last time that happened was in 1990.
“To me, strange is living in the past,” Wings head coach Mike Babcock told MLive.com. “You are what you are. This is what we earned this year. This is what our team is. We’re no better or no worse than we are. We’re just a team battling to get in the playoffs.
“Win a game, that’s all. To me, we take the same approach we have every year: Try to win games and get better.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)