Apr 13, 2013, 1:26 AM EDT
Thursday, the Detroit Red Wings had a one-goal lead, only to lose in a shootout. One point in the bag, another crucial point lost.
Friday saw a similar scenario for the Red Wings, this time the opponent was the Chicago Blackhawks.
The Red Wings held a 2-1 lead into the late stages of the third period, before Jonathan Toews scored with 2:57 remaining to send the game to overtime. the Red Wings ended up losing 3-2 in the shootout.
Two days and two important points lost.
Instead of distancing themselves a little bit from the those chasing them in the standings, the Red Wings remain in striking distance of at least three teams as the battle for playoff spots continues.
The Red Wings still hold down the eighth and final playoff spot, but just barely. They are two points ahead of the Dallas Stars, Phoenix Coyotes and Columbus Blue Jackets. It is very possible the Red Wings do not qualify for the post-season.
The last time that happened was in 1990.
“To me, strange is living in the past,” Wings head coach Mike Babcock told MLive.com. “You are what you are. This is what we earned this year. This is what our team is. We’re no better or no worse than we are. We’re just a team battling to get in the playoffs.
“Win a game, that’s all. To me, we take the same approach we have every year: Try to win games and get better.”
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 27
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)