Apr 13, 2013, 1:26 AM EDT
Thursday, the Detroit Red Wings had a one-goal lead, only to lose in a shootout. One point in the bag, another crucial point lost.
Friday saw a similar scenario for the Red Wings, this time the opponent was the Chicago Blackhawks.
The Red Wings held a 2-1 lead into the late stages of the third period, before Jonathan Toews scored with 2:57 remaining to send the game to overtime. the Red Wings ended up losing 3-2 in the shootout.
Two days and two important points lost.
Instead of distancing themselves a little bit from the those chasing them in the standings, the Red Wings remain in striking distance of at least three teams as the battle for playoff spots continues.
The Red Wings still hold down the eighth and final playoff spot, but just barely. They are two points ahead of the Dallas Stars, Phoenix Coyotes and Columbus Blue Jackets. It is very possible the Red Wings do not qualify for the post-season.
The last time that happened was in 1990.
“To me, strange is living in the past,” Wings head coach Mike Babcock told MLive.com. “You are what you are. This is what we earned this year. This is what our team is. We’re no better or no worse than we are. We’re just a team battling to get in the playoffs.
“Win a game, that’s all. To me, we take the same approach we have every year: Try to win games and get better.”
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (37)