Apr 13, 2013, 1:26 AM EDT
Thursday, the Detroit Red Wings had a one-goal lead, only to lose in a shootout. One point in the bag, another crucial point lost.
Friday saw a similar scenario for the Red Wings, this time the opponent was the Chicago Blackhawks.
The Red Wings held a 2-1 lead into the late stages of the third period, before Jonathan Toews scored with 2:57 remaining to send the game to overtime. the Red Wings ended up losing 3-2 in the shootout.
Two days and two important points lost.
Instead of distancing themselves a little bit from the those chasing them in the standings, the Red Wings remain in striking distance of at least three teams as the battle for playoff spots continues.
The Red Wings still hold down the eighth and final playoff spot, but just barely. They are two points ahead of the Dallas Stars, Phoenix Coyotes and Columbus Blue Jackets. It is very possible the Red Wings do not qualify for the post-season.
The last time that happened was in 1990.
“To me, strange is living in the past,” Wings head coach Mike Babcock told MLive.com. “You are what you are. This is what we earned this year. This is what our team is. We’re no better or no worse than we are. We’re just a team battling to get in the playoffs.
“Win a game, that’s all. To me, we take the same approach we have every year: Try to win games and get better.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)