Apr 13, 2013, 11:02 PM EDT
If the 2013 playoffs began on Saturday night, the Dallas Stars would be the West’s eighth seed.
They beat the San Jose Sharks 2-1 to extend their surprising streak to five straight wins. To many, the most amazing part is that a team that already traded away Jaromir Jagr, Derek Roy and Brenden Morrow is on fire with Kari Lehtonen on the injured list.
Richard Bachman is known almost as much for the inevitable Stephen King jokes his name demands as he is for his goaltending, but this streak could change that. He has three of the Stars’ last four wins, allowing three goals on 82 shots during that span.
Again, this win places the Stars at the eighth spot in the West with 45 points in 41 games. The slumping Red Wings hold the same point total in the same amount of games played, but while the Stars are 21-17-3, Detroit are on the short end of the tiebreaker because of fewer wins (19-15-7).
All of a sudden, the Stars’ season-closing game against the Red Wings might just have some serious stakes.
Beating the odds
Sports Club Stats still puts the odds on Detroit by a small amount; the Red Wings are given 52.2 percent odds to make the playoffs while the Stars weigh in at 42.8 percent (they saw their chances skyrocket by 10.4 percent with today’s win).
Still, the improbable is becoming increasingly probable; closing out the season with a mere 4-3-0 mark in their last seven games would give them a 68.4 percent chance to make it.
Ultimately, there’s still a long way to go, but who would have expected the Stars to get this close once that trade deadline purge began?
Mar 12, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
He was injured against Florida on Sunday.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:28 AM EDT
The Habs have five straight wins against Boston.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day ahead.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
He received a minor penalty for the hit.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
JVR seems OK, though.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
Dallas moves into the second wild card spot for now.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks aren’t happy about their game, either.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
And an interesting one overall for the East.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Another memorable save for the icon.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
That’s eight in a row for Pittsburgh between these two teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
The contest featured his former team the Saginaw Spirit.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
The 20-year-old had been missing since March 3.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
On the bright side, there’s the Batmobile.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
The Pens have won seven in a row vs. Washington, including Monday.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Because there’s a really good chance they will.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Big development for the ‘Hawks.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Click for the details.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 11, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
“We played well in the first game, but then it all disappeared.”
Mar 11, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The sons of George and Brian, respectively.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 26
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)