Apr 13, 2013, 11:02 PM EDT
If the 2013 playoffs began on Saturday night, the Dallas Stars would be the West’s eighth seed.
They beat the San Jose Sharks 2-1 to extend their surprising streak to five straight wins. To many, the most amazing part is that a team that already traded away Jaromir Jagr, Derek Roy and Brenden Morrow is on fire with Kari Lehtonen on the injured list.
Richard Bachman is known almost as much for the inevitable Stephen King jokes his name demands as he is for his goaltending, but this streak could change that. He has three of the Stars’ last four wins, allowing three goals on 82 shots during that span.
Again, this win places the Stars at the eighth spot in the West with 45 points in 41 games. The slumping Red Wings hold the same point total in the same amount of games played, but while the Stars are 21-17-3, Detroit are on the short end of the tiebreaker because of fewer wins (19-15-7).
All of a sudden, the Stars’ season-closing game against the Red Wings might just have some serious stakes.
Beating the odds
Sports Club Stats still puts the odds on Detroit by a small amount; the Red Wings are given 52.2 percent odds to make the playoffs while the Stars weigh in at 42.8 percent (they saw their chances skyrocket by 10.4 percent with today’s win).
Still, the improbable is becoming increasingly probable; closing out the season with a mere 4-3-0 mark in their last seven games would give them a 68.4 percent chance to make it.
Ultimately, there’s still a long way to go, but who would have expected the Stars to get this close once that trade deadline purge began?
May 25, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
It was a reversal from the first frame.
May 25, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Maple Leafs prospect Frederik Gauthier had a big game too.
May 25, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
The first period was all Anaheim.
May 25, 2015, 9:42 PM EDT
The Ducks got off to an ideal start.
May 25, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Emerson Etem is a healthy scratch.
May 25, 2015, 8:29 PM EDT
He needed to keep his wrist frozen to play.
May 25, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
He was linked to Nashville’s playoff curfew incident.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The series is tied at 2-2.
May 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
There’s going to be a fight for the No. 1 gig in Detroit.
May 25, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Reports out of Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
May 25, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
May 25, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
They’re expected to speak again before July 1.
May 25, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
“One bounce here or there, it’s a different story.”
May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Made his NHL debut last season, appearing in 16 games.
May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.
May 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
“Everyone involved with the ZSC Lions is so excited about seeing him play in Zurich.”
May 25, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT
This won’t quell the Kevin Bieksa trade speculation.
May 25, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
“A bigger guy, playing a power forward role.”
May 25, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Featuring a whole lot of Dan Bylsma.
May 25, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
Have the Bolts learned their lesson?
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)