Apr 13, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT
When Terry Pegula bought the Buffalo Sabres he had the highest of hopes of bringing the city a Stanley Cup in three seasons. After seeing his team falter this season while firing a coach and partially blowing up the team at the trade deadline, he’s pulling back on his optimistic hopes.
At a press conference today for Buffalo’s new HarborCenter project, Pegula spoke about his franchise and faced up to the harsh reality of owning a mediocre team. Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News shares the details.
“I just look at it optimistically. We’ll move forward and do the right thing,” Pegula said.
Being optimistic for Pegula means looking at Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs who saw his team win his first Stanley Cup after owning them for 39 years. More from Pegula via Harrington:
“Jerry Jacobs down the road took 39 years to win a Stanley Cup. I don’t know how long,” Pegula said. “How can you guarantee anybody anything? You do your best every year. When’s the last time the New England Patriots won the Stanley Cup? Or the Super Bowl?”
It doesn’t take a sabermetrician to figure out that 39 years is 13 times as long as three years. That kind of wait for a Cup probably won’t go over very well in Buffalo.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)