Apr 13, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT
When Terry Pegula bought the Buffalo Sabres he had the highest of hopes of bringing the city a Stanley Cup in three seasons. After seeing his team falter this season while firing a coach and partially blowing up the team at the trade deadline, he’s pulling back on his optimistic hopes.
At a press conference today for Buffalo’s new HarborCenter project, Pegula spoke about his franchise and faced up to the harsh reality of owning a mediocre team. Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News shares the details.
“I just look at it optimistically. We’ll move forward and do the right thing,” Pegula said.
Being optimistic for Pegula means looking at Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs who saw his team win his first Stanley Cup after owning them for 39 years. More from Pegula via Harrington:
“Jerry Jacobs down the road took 39 years to win a Stanley Cup. I don’t know how long,” Pegula said. “How can you guarantee anybody anything? You do your best every year. When’s the last time the New England Patriots won the Stanley Cup? Or the Super Bowl?”
It doesn’t take a sabermetrician to figure out that 39 years is 13 times as long as three years. That kind of wait for a Cup probably won’t go over very well in Buffalo.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)