Apr 13, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT
When Terry Pegula bought the Buffalo Sabres he had the highest of hopes of bringing the city a Stanley Cup in three seasons. After seeing his team falter this season while firing a coach and partially blowing up the team at the trade deadline, he’s pulling back on his optimistic hopes.
At a press conference today for Buffalo’s new HarborCenter project, Pegula spoke about his franchise and faced up to the harsh reality of owning a mediocre team. Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News shares the details.
“I just look at it optimistically. We’ll move forward and do the right thing,” Pegula said.
Being optimistic for Pegula means looking at Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs who saw his team win his first Stanley Cup after owning them for 39 years. More from Pegula via Harrington:
“Jerry Jacobs down the road took 39 years to win a Stanley Cup. I don’t know how long,” Pegula said. “How can you guarantee anybody anything? You do your best every year. When’s the last time the New England Patriots won the Stanley Cup? Or the Super Bowl?”
It doesn’t take a sabermetrician to figure out that 39 years is 13 times as long as three years. That kind of wait for a Cup probably won’t go over very well in Buffalo.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 13
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 7
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 30
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)