Apr 13, 2013, 5:04 PM EST
When Terry Pegula bought the Buffalo Sabres he had the highest of hopes of bringing the city a Stanley Cup in three seasons. After seeing his team falter this season while firing a coach and partially blowing up the team at the trade deadline, he’s pulling back on his optimistic hopes.
At a press conference today for Buffalo’s new HarborCenter project, Pegula spoke about his franchise and faced up to the harsh reality of owning a mediocre team. Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News shares the details.
“I just look at it optimistically. We’ll move forward and do the right thing,” Pegula said.
Being optimistic for Pegula means looking at Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs who saw his team win his first Stanley Cup after owning them for 39 years. More from Pegula via Harrington:
“Jerry Jacobs down the road took 39 years to win a Stanley Cup. I don’t know how long,” Pegula said. “How can you guarantee anybody anything? You do your best every year. When’s the last time the New England Patriots won the Stanley Cup? Or the Super Bowl?”
It doesn’t take a sabermetrician to figure out that 39 years is 13 times as long as three years. That kind of wait for a Cup probably won’t go over very well in Buffalo.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)