Apr 13, 2013, 10:07 PM EST
For the second year in a row, it seemed like Steven Stamkos‘ consolation prize for another awful Tampa Bay Lightning season would be the Maurice Richard trophy. Saturday showed that Alex Ovechkin might just claim that accolade – and on a much more successful team, in that.
The Washington Capitals and their captain remained red-hot tonight. A Mike Green overtime game-winner gave them a 6-5 win – which is their seventh in a row – while Ovechkin collected goal 27 of this season, placing him one ahead of Stamkos.
At first, the game seemed like it would be a blowout.
The Capitals took a 3-0 lead in the first period and Jason Chimera made it 4-0 early in the second. Martin St. Louis & co. wouldn’t allow the Capitals to take this one easily, however, as they eventually sent the game to OT. Green’s power-play marker still left the Lightning with a sour taste in their mouths, however.
With this victory, Washington now holds a four-point standings lead over the idle Winnipeg Jets for the Southeast Division crown (both teams have six games left).
It might be fun to call the Capitals’ division the “Southleast” or “Southeasy,” but the Caps are now on a startling 11-1-1 run in their last 13. In other words, save your insults for the lowly Lightning.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been dealing with a back injury.
Dec 27, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
There was plenty of controversy surrounding the single-punch incident on Nov. 21.
Dec 27, 2014, 2:32 PM EST
Jagr from less than two weeks ago: “(Firing DeBoer) would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make.”
Dec 27, 2014, 1:37 PM EST
He missed four games.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:42 PM EST
He won’t need to undergo surgery.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
The Devils will dress 11 forwards tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
It’s been that kind of season for Columbus.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
Paul MacLean’s name has been mentioned too.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:53 AM EST
Los Angeles is in a delicate position after a pre-holiday slump.
Dec 27, 2014, 1:00 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
No official word from New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:49 PM EST
This was over early.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
It’s hitting the fan for New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Long-time play-by-play man Bob Cole also recognized.
Dec 26, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Will be filling the spot vacated by the suspended John Scott.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)