Apr 13, 2013, 10:07 PM EST
For the second year in a row, it seemed like Steven Stamkos‘ consolation prize for another awful Tampa Bay Lightning season would be the Maurice Richard trophy. Saturday showed that Alex Ovechkin might just claim that accolade – and on a much more successful team, in that.
The Washington Capitals and their captain remained red-hot tonight. A Mike Green overtime game-winner gave them a 6-5 win – which is their seventh in a row – while Ovechkin collected goal 27 of this season, placing him one ahead of Stamkos.
At first, the game seemed like it would be a blowout.
The Capitals took a 3-0 lead in the first period and Jason Chimera made it 4-0 early in the second. Martin St. Louis & co. wouldn’t allow the Capitals to take this one easily, however, as they eventually sent the game to OT. Green’s power-play marker still left the Lightning with a sour taste in their mouths, however.
With this victory, Washington now holds a four-point standings lead over the idle Winnipeg Jets for the Southeast Division crown (both teams have six games left).
It might be fun to call the Capitals’ division the “Southleast” or “Southeasy,” but the Caps are now on a startling 11-1-1 run in their last 13. In other words, save your insults for the lowly Lightning.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
Tough two days for San Jose.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Next summer, they’ll be talking about shrinking goalie sweaters.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:58 PM EST
Phoenix goes to Vancouver shorthanded.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:41 PM EST
Columbus dominated Minnesota 4-0 on Friday.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Recalled forward Zach Boychuk played Friday.
Dec 6, 2013, 8:28 PM EST
After 15 seasons and two Stanley Cup victories.
Dec 6, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
Worse yet, another high Tampa Bay draft pick delivered the blow.
Dec 6, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
According to Fox Sports Detroit.
Dec 6, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
Damaged defense in Dallas.
Dec 6, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
Meanwhile, Bryan Bickell might resume skating next week.
Dec 6, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
A roster shuffle is expected.
Dec 6, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane like where this is going.
Dec 6, 2013, 4:28 PM EST
In which we ask the question, does Team Canada need a player like Milan Lucic?
Dec 6, 2013, 3:37 PM EST
Tough break for the Swedish defenseman.
Dec 6, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
“I’m sure after a little while I won’t even notice it.”
Dec 6, 2013, 2:47 PM EST
Veteran defenseman enjoyed his best years in Colorado.
Dec 6, 2013, 2:36 PM EST
Boston blueliner was hurt vs. Montreal last night.
Dec 6, 2013, 2:18 PM EST
Was fired by the Flyers earlier this season.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:41 PM EST
Chicago gets Brandon Mashinter in return.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
If he’s going to re-sign with the Sabres, he wants to see “actions” from management.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 11
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 49
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 55
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (55)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)