Apr 13, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
For the second year in a row, it seemed like Steven Stamkos‘ consolation prize for another awful Tampa Bay Lightning season would be the Maurice Richard trophy. Saturday showed that Alex Ovechkin might just claim that accolade – and on a much more successful team, in that.
The Washington Capitals and their captain remained red-hot tonight. A Mike Green overtime game-winner gave them a 6-5 win – which is their seventh in a row – while Ovechkin collected goal 27 of this season, placing him one ahead of Stamkos.
At first, the game seemed like it would be a blowout.
The Capitals took a 3-0 lead in the first period and Jason Chimera made it 4-0 early in the second. Martin St. Louis & co. wouldn’t allow the Capitals to take this one easily, however, as they eventually sent the game to OT. Green’s power-play marker still left the Lightning with a sour taste in their mouths, however.
With this victory, Washington now holds a four-point standings lead over the idle Winnipeg Jets for the Southeast Division crown (both teams have six games left).
It might be fun to call the Capitals’ division the “Southleast” or “Southeasy,” but the Caps are now on a startling 11-1-1 run in their last 13. In other words, save your insults for the lowly Lightning.
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 15
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 11
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 69
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 49
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (85)