Apr 13, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
For the second year in a row, it seemed like Steven Stamkos‘ consolation prize for another awful Tampa Bay Lightning season would be the Maurice Richard trophy. Saturday showed that Alex Ovechkin might just claim that accolade – and on a much more successful team, in that.
The Washington Capitals and their captain remained red-hot tonight. A Mike Green overtime game-winner gave them a 6-5 win – which is their seventh in a row – while Ovechkin collected goal 27 of this season, placing him one ahead of Stamkos.
At first, the game seemed like it would be a blowout.
The Capitals took a 3-0 lead in the first period and Jason Chimera made it 4-0 early in the second. Martin St. Louis & co. wouldn’t allow the Capitals to take this one easily, however, as they eventually sent the game to OT. Green’s power-play marker still left the Lightning with a sour taste in their mouths, however.
With this victory, Washington now holds a four-point standings lead over the idle Winnipeg Jets for the Southeast Division crown (both teams have six games left).
It might be fun to call the Capitals’ division the “Southleast” or “Southeasy,” but the Caps are now on a startling 11-1-1 run in their last 13. In other words, save your insults for the lowly Lightning.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 0
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)