Apr 13, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
The already-shorthanded Pittsburgh Penguins will reportedly be without Evgeni Malkin on Saturday, but it’s difficult to tell if he’s injured or just getting the night off.
If you read enough into a bit from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe, you might think Malkin should be listed as “day-to-day (sun burn).”
The 26-year-old center has been through some serious ups and downs with injuries this season, so it seems like both scenarios are plausible enough.
NFL teams are known to rest key players late in the season when they have a playoff position locked up, and that’s during just a 16-game season where there are few “filler” contests. Even in this condensed campaign, it makes sense that the Penguins are opting to keep Malkin fresh; they do already have the Atlantic Division locked up, after all.
That being said, they might want to get him some better sunscreen with summer rapidly approaching.
(At least the Penguins’ remaining regular season schedule is devoid of UV ray hazard areas such as Arizona, Florida, Texas and California … )
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 65
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (65)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)