Apr 13, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
The already-shorthanded Pittsburgh Penguins will reportedly be without Evgeni Malkin on Saturday, but it’s difficult to tell if he’s injured or just getting the night off.
If you read enough into a bit from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe, you might think Malkin should be listed as “day-to-day (sun burn).”
The 26-year-old center has been through some serious ups and downs with injuries this season, so it seems like both scenarios are plausible enough.
NFL teams are known to rest key players late in the season when they have a playoff position locked up, and that’s during just a 16-game season where there are few “filler” contests. Even in this condensed campaign, it makes sense that the Penguins are opting to keep Malkin fresh; they do already have the Atlantic Division locked up, after all.
That being said, they might want to get him some better sunscreen with summer rapidly approaching.
(At least the Penguins’ remaining regular season schedule is devoid of UV ray hazard areas such as Arizona, Florida, Texas and California … )
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)