Apr 13, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
The numbers say that the Buffalo Sabres would need to go undefeated to even have about a 1-in-3 chance to make the playoffs. That sounds hopeless, which is probably how you might also describe the Philadelphia Flyers’ offense.
Buffalo beat Philadelphia 1-0 on Saturday, giving the Flyers four straight losses. They’ve scored just three goals in that skid.
During much of this season, it’s been easy to blame Philly’s problems on a thin defense corps and Ilya Bryzgalov, yet now they’re even struggling to fill opposing teams’ nets.
One might find some symbolism in how Saturday’s game ended: Daniel Briere hit the post in the closing moments, leaving the Flyers looking for answers for yet another day in the 2013 season.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)