Apr 13, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
The numbers say that the Buffalo Sabres would need to go undefeated to even have about a 1-in-3 chance to make the playoffs. That sounds hopeless, which is probably how you might also describe the Philadelphia Flyers’ offense.
Buffalo beat Philadelphia 1-0 on Saturday, giving the Flyers four straight losses. They’ve scored just three goals in that skid.
During much of this season, it’s been easy to blame Philly’s problems on a thin defense corps and Ilya Bryzgalov, yet now they’re even struggling to fill opposing teams’ nets.
One might find some symbolism in how Saturday’s game ended: Daniel Briere hit the post in the closing moments, leaving the Flyers looking for answers for yet another day in the 2013 season.
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 24
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 12
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 8
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 15
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 56
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 23
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 63
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1