Apr 13, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
The numbers say that the Buffalo Sabres would need to go undefeated to even have about a 1-in-3 chance to make the playoffs. That sounds hopeless, which is probably how you might also describe the Philadelphia Flyers’ offense.
Buffalo beat Philadelphia 1-0 on Saturday, giving the Flyers four straight losses. They’ve scored just three goals in that skid.
During much of this season, it’s been easy to blame Philly’s problems on a thin defense corps and Ilya Bryzgalov, yet now they’re even struggling to fill opposing teams’ nets.
One might find some symbolism in how Saturday’s game ended: Daniel Briere hit the post in the closing moments, leaving the Flyers looking for answers for yet another day in the 2013 season.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)