Apr 12, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
One point. It could be the difference between a playoff spot and an early start to the golf season.
That right now, applies to – of all teams – the Detroit Red Wings. Detroit lost to the San Jose Sharks by a score of 3-2 in a shootout Thursday night, and are precariously holding the final playoff spot in the Western Conference by just two points over the Phoenix Coyotes.
The Wings could’ve had the full two points. Instead, they came away with just one. In the end, could that be the difference between qualifying for the post-season or missing out?
“You got to earn your right to say playoff games and we’re in a dogfight,” Red Wings coach Mike Babcock told MLive.com on Thursday.
“We’d have liked to get two points. We’re going to keep battling, keep worrying about the process and doing good things, and in the end good things will happen to us. We just got to compete hard.”
The Red Wings are in Chicago on Friday to face the Blackhawks, while the Coyotes are in Calgary to play the Flames.
Should the Red Wings lose in regulation and the Coyotes win, the two teams would be tied in points, however Detroit would hold on to the tiebreaker of more regulation-overtime wins.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 82
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)