Apr 12, 2013, 8:03 AM EDT
It wasn’t that long ago that all 30 NHL teams came to this simple consensus: Jussi Jokinen isn’t worth his contract.
In the end the Penguins agree to give Carolina a conditional pick if they retained some of Jokinen’s salary and cap hit.
The Penguins should be grateful that the Hurricanes were so desperate to get rid of the 30-year-old forward.
Jokinen has stepped up with three goals and five points in three contests with Pittsburgh. With James Neal and Sidney Crosby sidelined, that offensive outburst has helped keep the Penguins winning and on the path to the first seed in the Eastern Conference.
Jokinen is a former 30-goal scorer, but he fell out of favor in Carolina due to the additions of Jordan Staal and Alexander Semin and rise of Riley Nash. He consequently saw his playing time and production drop.
He might never rebound back to his 2009-10 levels, when he had 65 points in 82 games, but the Penguins don’t need him to. They got him in the hopes that he’d be a solid forward that would provide them with some more depth going into the playoffs.
So far he’s been that and more.
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 4
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 9
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 31
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)