Apr 12, 2013, 8:03 AM EST
It wasn’t that long ago that all 30 NHL teams came to this simple consensus: Jussi Jokinen isn’t worth his contract.
In the end the Penguins agree to give Carolina a conditional pick if they retained some of Jokinen’s salary and cap hit.
The Penguins should be grateful that the Hurricanes were so desperate to get rid of the 30-year-old forward.
Jokinen has stepped up with three goals and five points in three contests with Pittsburgh. With James Neal and Sidney Crosby sidelined, that offensive outburst has helped keep the Penguins winning and on the path to the first seed in the Eastern Conference.
Jokinen is a former 30-goal scorer, but he fell out of favor in Carolina due to the additions of Jordan Staal and Alexander Semin and rise of Riley Nash. He consequently saw his playing time and production drop.
He might never rebound back to his 2009-10 levels, when he had 65 points in 82 games, but the Penguins don’t need him to. They got him in the hopes that he’d be a solid forward that would provide them with some more depth going into the playoffs.
So far he’s been that and more.
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 3
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 8
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 52
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 75
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)