Apr 12, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
With six goals and five assists in 24 games this season, we’re not sure the 24-year-old center has made the most of his opportunity; however, it doesn’t sound like the organization is ready to give up on him quite yet.
“I want to help him realize what he needs to keep doing,” coach Bob Hartley said, per the Calgary Herald. “He’s tougher in puck battles. He’s going harder at the net. I want him to play as a centerman. You need to be able to play the game in the three zones. He’s a great skater. He’s got great vision. I want to help him expand his role and believe in himself.”
Given the dearth of centers in the NHL, high draft picks that play the middle will usually get multiple chances to prove themselves. And based on what Hartley said, the still-young Swede is improving.
Backlund is a pending restricted free agent that’s finishing out a one-year, $725,000 contract.
“Obviously, the better I play, the better contract I’ll get — that’s how it works,” said Backlund. “So I’m trying to do my best and show them that I want to be a part of this team, I want to be part of the future of this organization.
“Hopefully, I’d like to stay here.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)