Apr 12, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
Fighting for their playoff lives, the New Jersey Devils will be without another key contributor on Friday.
Captain Bryce Salvador will miss tonight’s game against the Senators with a wrist injury, according to Tom Gulitti of the Bergen Record. He’ll join Ilya Kovalchuk (shoulder) and Johan Hedberg (back) on the shelf.
Salvador, 37, was injured during Wednesday’s 5-3 loss to the Bruins after blocking a Zdeno Chara slapshot. The veteran defenseman ended up logging just 6:15 of ice time and doesn’t appear to be feeling much better after a day of rest.
“Not good enough to play,” was how Devs head coach Peter DeBoer described Salvador’s wrist.
Salvador has had a rough season after signing a three-year, $9.5 million extension with New Jersey during the summer. He has just two points through 39 games and is an ugly minus-12, but does sit third on the time in ice time (21:20 per game)
The Devils, meanwhile, have lost eight straight and are in serious danger of not making the playoffs, this after getting to the Stanley Cup finals a year ago. They currently sit 10th in the East with 40 points, four back of the eighth-place Rangers.
The last team to make the Cup finals and fail to make the playoffs the following season was the 2006-07 Edmonton Oilers.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 5
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 35
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)