Apr 12, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
This year has been a nightmare health-wise for Brooks Laich, who has missed 32 of Washington’s 41 games with a reoccurring groin problem.
Now, he’s facing a tough decision:
End the frustration, or grind it out.
According to CSN’s Chuck Gormely, Laich and the Capitals are mulling over two options on how to treat the injury.
One is corrective surgery for the groin — which could end Laich’s season — while the other is letting him rehab his way back into the lineup.
According to head coach Adam Oates, it’s still not clear what direction they’ll take.
“He’s seeing a lot of [specialists],” Oates told CSN. “We’re tying to figure out any way we can to get him on the ice before we go to other steps. They’re still having a tough time identifying exactly what it is.”
Laich missed the first 28 games of the season and has now missed the last four. Surgery would be of the sports hernia variety, but the issue is the four-to-six week recovery period, which could wipe out Laich’s season.
Further complicating things? The fact Washington’s on fire.
The Caps have won six straight and are 8-1-1 in their last 10, moving into sole possession of first in the Southeast Division and third in the Eastern Conference.
Laich could undergo surgery, try to rehab quickly and hope to be back for the second postseason round, assuming the Caps get there.
Or he could sit out a little longer, and aim to rejoin the team at the start of the playoffs.
Either way, according to teammate Mike Green, a decision will have to be made.
“At some point you just have to make a decision,” said Green, who missed five weeks last season after sports hernia surgery. “[Laich's] a strong mental guy and he’ll come out of this if he works hard.”
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)