Apr 12, 2013, 7:57 PM EST
A funny thing happened to the St. Louis Blues at the 14:32 mark of the first period against Columbus on Friday night.
They conceded a goal.
Funny, because the Blues hadn’t done that in seven days — the last time they allowed a goal was last Friday, Apr. 5, against the Blue Jackets in a 3-1 win.
Since then, St. Louis scored shutout victories over the Red Wings (1-0), Predators (1-0) and Wild (2-0) and, all told, posted a goalless streak of 215 minutes and 56 seconds.
During the streak, netminder Brian Elliott put himself in the record books by matching Jacques Plante’s consecutive road shutout streak mark (franchise mark, not league mark).
Plante posted nearly 142 consecutive scoreless road minutes during the 1968-69 season. After shutting out the Wild on Thursday, Elliott’s still-active record sits at 189 minutes and 31 seconds.
As for tonight’s action, it was rookie netminder Jake Allen that allowed Blue Jackets forward Cam Atkinson to score the streak-ending tally. Atkinson’s goal evened the score up at one, after Kevin Shattenkirk opened the scoring for the Blues just 1:26 into the game.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 34
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)