Apr 12, 2013, 7:57 PM EDT
A funny thing happened to the St. Louis Blues at the 14:32 mark of the first period against Columbus on Friday night.
They conceded a goal.
Funny, because the Blues hadn’t done that in seven days — the last time they allowed a goal was last Friday, Apr. 5, against the Blue Jackets in a 3-1 win.
Since then, St. Louis scored shutout victories over the Red Wings (1-0), Predators (1-0) and Wild (2-0) and, all told, posted a goalless streak of 215 minutes and 56 seconds.
During the streak, netminder Brian Elliott put himself in the record books by matching Jacques Plante’s consecutive road shutout streak mark (franchise mark, not league mark).
Plante posted nearly 142 consecutive scoreless road minutes during the 1968-69 season. After shutting out the Wild on Thursday, Elliott’s still-active record sits at 189 minutes and 31 seconds.
As for tonight’s action, it was rookie netminder Jake Allen that allowed Blue Jackets forward Cam Atkinson to score the streak-ending tally. Atkinson’s goal evened the score up at one, after Kevin Shattenkirk opened the scoring for the Blues just 1:26 into the game.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 10
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)