Apr 12, 2013, 7:57 PM EDT
A funny thing happened to the St. Louis Blues at the 14:32 mark of the first period against Columbus on Friday night.
They conceded a goal.
Funny, because the Blues hadn’t done that in seven days — the last time they allowed a goal was last Friday, Apr. 5, against the Blue Jackets in a 3-1 win.
Since then, St. Louis scored shutout victories over the Red Wings (1-0), Predators (1-0) and Wild (2-0) and, all told, posted a goalless streak of 215 minutes and 56 seconds.
During the streak, netminder Brian Elliott put himself in the record books by matching Jacques Plante’s consecutive road shutout streak mark (franchise mark, not league mark).
Plante posted nearly 142 consecutive scoreless road minutes during the 1968-69 season. After shutting out the Wild on Thursday, Elliott’s still-active record sits at 189 minutes and 31 seconds.
As for tonight’s action, it was rookie netminder Jake Allen that allowed Blue Jackets forward Cam Atkinson to score the streak-ending tally. Atkinson’s goal evened the score up at one, after Kevin Shattenkirk opened the scoring for the Blues just 1:26 into the game.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 42
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)