Apr 12, 2013, 7:57 PM EDT
A funny thing happened to the St. Louis Blues at the 14:32 mark of the first period against Columbus on Friday night.
They conceded a goal.
Funny, because the Blues hadn’t done that in seven days — the last time they allowed a goal was last Friday, Apr. 5, against the Blue Jackets in a 3-1 win.
Since then, St. Louis scored shutout victories over the Red Wings (1-0), Predators (1-0) and Wild (2-0) and, all told, posted a goalless streak of 215 minutes and 56 seconds.
During the streak, netminder Brian Elliott put himself in the record books by matching Jacques Plante’s consecutive road shutout streak mark (franchise mark, not league mark).
Plante posted nearly 142 consecutive scoreless road minutes during the 1968-69 season. After shutting out the Wild on Thursday, Elliott’s still-active record sits at 189 minutes and 31 seconds.
As for tonight’s action, it was rookie netminder Jake Allen that allowed Blue Jackets forward Cam Atkinson to score the streak-ending tally. Atkinson’s goal evened the score up at one, after Kevin Shattenkirk opened the scoring for the Blues just 1:26 into the game.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)