Apr 12, 2013, 7:57 PM EDT
A funny thing happened to the St. Louis Blues at the 14:32 mark of the first period against Columbus on Friday night.
They conceded a goal.
Funny, because the Blues hadn’t done that in seven days — the last time they allowed a goal was last Friday, Apr. 5, against the Blue Jackets in a 3-1 win.
Since then, St. Louis scored shutout victories over the Red Wings (1-0), Predators (1-0) and Wild (2-0) and, all told, posted a goalless streak of 215 minutes and 56 seconds.
During the streak, netminder Brian Elliott put himself in the record books by matching Jacques Plante’s consecutive road shutout streak mark (franchise mark, not league mark).
Plante posted nearly 142 consecutive scoreless road minutes during the 1968-69 season. After shutting out the Wild on Thursday, Elliott’s still-active record sits at 189 minutes and 31 seconds.
As for tonight’s action, it was rookie netminder Jake Allen that allowed Blue Jackets forward Cam Atkinson to score the streak-ending tally. Atkinson’s goal evened the score up at one, after Kevin Shattenkirk opened the scoring for the Blues just 1:26 into the game.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)