Apr 12, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets, playing in front of their home crowd, ended the St. Louis Blues’ shutout streak, ruined the bid for Ken Hitchcock to get his 600th career win and remained in the playoff hunt – all in the same game.
The Blue Jackets gave up the first goal but then scored four unanswered to defeat the Blues 4-1. Coming to an end was the St. Louis shutout streak, which reached 215 minutes and 56 seconds – a franchise record.
“There were lots of things about this game that reminded me of playoff hockey,” Blue Jackets head coach Todd Richards told NHL.com.
“… To me, it was the speed, it was the intensity. I think the environment … just our building in general because the crowd [17,007] was into it too. It had some nastiness to it. For me, it was a great hockey game, an enjoyable game.
“Obviously you’re able to enjoy this more because you come up with two points.”
Meanwhile, in Chicago, the Detroit Red Wings, currently holding on to the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference, lost to the Blackhawks in a shootout.
The Blue Jackets are currently 11th in the conference, but only two points out of the final playoff spot, with seven games remaining in their schedule.
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 0
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 18
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)