Apr 12, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets, playing in front of their home crowd, ended the St. Louis Blues’ shutout streak, ruined the bid for Ken Hitchcock to get his 600th career win and remained in the playoff hunt – all in the same game.
The Blue Jackets gave up the first goal but then scored four unanswered to defeat the Blues 4-1. Coming to an end was the St. Louis shutout streak, which reached 215 minutes and 56 seconds – a franchise record.
“There were lots of things about this game that reminded me of playoff hockey,” Blue Jackets head coach Todd Richards told NHL.com.
“… To me, it was the speed, it was the intensity. I think the environment … just our building in general because the crowd [17,007] was into it too. It had some nastiness to it. For me, it was a great hockey game, an enjoyable game.
“Obviously you’re able to enjoy this more because you come up with two points.”
Meanwhile, in Chicago, the Detroit Red Wings, currently holding on to the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference, lost to the Blackhawks in a shootout.
The Blue Jackets are currently 11th in the conference, but only two points out of the final playoff spot, with seven games remaining in their schedule.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 0
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 10
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 87
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)