Apr 12, 2013, 11:54 PM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets, playing in front of their home crowd, ended the St. Louis Blues’ shutout streak, ruined the bid for Ken Hitchcock to get his 600th career win and remained in the playoff hunt – all in the same game.
The Blue Jackets gave up the first goal but then scored four unanswered to defeat the Blues 4-1. Coming to an end was the St. Louis shutout streak, which reached 215 minutes and 56 seconds – a franchise record.
“There were lots of things about this game that reminded me of playoff hockey,” Blue Jackets head coach Todd Richards told NHL.com.
“… To me, it was the speed, it was the intensity. I think the environment … just our building in general because the crowd [17,007] was into it too. It had some nastiness to it. For me, it was a great hockey game, an enjoyable game.
“Obviously you’re able to enjoy this more because you come up with two points.”
Meanwhile, in Chicago, the Detroit Red Wings, currently holding on to the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference, lost to the Blackhawks in a shootout.
The Blue Jackets are currently 11th in the conference, but only two points out of the final playoff spot, with seven games remaining in their schedule.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)