Apr 12, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets, playing in front of their home crowd, ended the St. Louis Blues’ shutout streak, ruined the bid for Ken Hitchcock to get his 600th career win and remained in the playoff hunt – all in the same game.
The Blue Jackets gave up the first goal but then scored four unanswered to defeat the Blues 4-1. Coming to an end was the St. Louis shutout streak, which reached 215 minutes and 56 seconds – a franchise record.
“There were lots of things about this game that reminded me of playoff hockey,” Blue Jackets head coach Todd Richards told NHL.com.
“… To me, it was the speed, it was the intensity. I think the environment … just our building in general because the crowd [17,007] was into it too. It had some nastiness to it. For me, it was a great hockey game, an enjoyable game.
“Obviously you’re able to enjoy this more because you come up with two points.”
Meanwhile, in Chicago, the Detroit Red Wings, currently holding on to the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference, lost to the Blackhawks in a shootout.
The Blue Jackets are currently 11th in the conference, but only two points out of the final playoff spot, with seven games remaining in their schedule.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)