Apr 12, 2013, 11:54 PM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets, playing in front of their home crowd, ended the St. Louis Blues’ shutout streak, ruined the bid for Ken Hitchcock to get his 600th career win and remained in the playoff hunt – all in the same game.
The Blue Jackets gave up the first goal but then scored four unanswered to defeat the Blues 4-1. Coming to an end was the St. Louis shutout streak, which reached 215 minutes and 56 seconds – a franchise record.
“There were lots of things about this game that reminded me of playoff hockey,” Blue Jackets head coach Todd Richards told NHL.com.
“… To me, it was the speed, it was the intensity. I think the environment … just our building in general because the crowd [17,007] was into it too. It had some nastiness to it. For me, it was a great hockey game, an enjoyable game.
“Obviously you’re able to enjoy this more because you come up with two points.”
Meanwhile, in Chicago, the Detroit Red Wings, currently holding on to the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference, lost to the Blackhawks in a shootout.
The Blue Jackets are currently 11th in the conference, but only two points out of the final playoff spot, with seven games remaining in their schedule.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)