Apr 12, 2013, 12:03 AM EDT
Only seven games remain in the regular season for the New York Islanders. Over the past few years, this would’ve meant playing out the schedule, prepping for a top pick in the draft and dusting off the golf clubs.
That’s not the case in 2013. The Islanders, playing on the road, held on for a 2-1 win over the Boston Bruins on Thursday night.
The Islanders, who haven’t made the playoffs since 2007, remain seventh in the Eastern Conference standings, still two points ahead of the New York Rangers. The Islanders are currently riding a three-game winning streak and have an 8-1-1 record over their last 10 games.
Only the Washington Capitals are hotter right now in the East.
“They’re believing in one another, they’re believing in the system, and they’re playing hard,” Islanders head coach Jack Capuano told NHL.com.
“At this time of year, I think teams that work extremely hard and win their battles – elevate their battle level and win their battles – have a good chance to win the game, and that’s what we’re doing.”
But can the Islanders keep this up?
There are two things to consider:
1) Five of the Islanders’ remaining seven games are on the road, beginning next Thursday in Toronto, then west to Winnipeg, south to Carolina, and then back up north to Philadelphia and Buffalo. They’ll play five games over an eight-day stretch.
2) Of their next seven games, only two of those are against teams currently in a playoff position.
Sep 2, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
Johansen, Krug, DeKeyser and more…
Sep 2, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
The trio missed all of last year’s playoff run.
Sep 2, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Veteran AHLer had previously spent time with the Canucks, Avalanche and Islanders organizations.
Sep 2, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
“I think it’s a great time for the Detroit Red Wings.”
Sep 2, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Easy to see why.
Sep 1, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Edmonton wants to assess Leon Draisaitl, it seems.
Sep 1, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
Sixteen of their first 21 games are on the road.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Part two of today’s Labor Day posts.
Sep 1, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
Part one of two Labor Day “theme” posts.
Sep 1, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
The new Penguins bench boss previously coached the young defenseman.
Sep 1, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
The 25-year-old has been fighting for playing time since he broke into the NHL.
Sep 1, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
He might pick an opening game starter after that, but the battle for the top spot is likely to extend into the season.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Will they have contracts by the start of the season?
Sep 1, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Last season’s experiment ended with Penner being traded.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Aug 31, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
He continued to follow their summer moves after he was fired.
Aug 31, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
The late creator of Peanuts was a big hockey fan.
Aug 31, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT
The Colorado defenseman is still a restricted free agent.
Aug 31, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
“I think that would make it a little more equitable for match-ups.”
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 0
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 13
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31