Apr 12, 2013, 4:19 PM EDT
On Friday, the Colorado Avalanche announced longtime defenseman Adam Foote will have his No. 52 raised to the Pepsi Center rafters next season.
Foote’s jersey will be the fifth retired by the Avs (joining Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Patrick Roy and Ray Bourque).
It’ll also be the ninth in Colorado/Quebec history (the Nordiques honored Peter Stastny, Michel Goulet, Marc Tardif and J.C. Tremblay).
The 41-year-old rearguard spent 19 years in the NHL, 17 with the Avalanche, and won a pair of Stanley Cups in Denver while serving as team captain from 2009-11.
At the time, Foote was just the second captain in Avalanche history.
Foote is still the second-highest scoring defenseman in Avalanche/Nordiques history with 259 points (56G-203A) in 967 games. He is a combined +129 in an Avs sweater, the second-highest plus/minus number in franchise annals behind Forsberg (+210).
The former Sault Ste. Marie Greyhound also starred internationally, representing Canada at three Winter Olympics and winning Gold in 2002. He also captured gold and was named to the All-Tournament team at the 2004 World Cup of Hockey.
Foote retired from the NHL following the 2010-11 season.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)