Apr 12, 2013, 4:19 PM EDT
On Friday, the Colorado Avalanche announced longtime defenseman Adam Foote will have his No. 52 raised to the Pepsi Center rafters next season.
Foote’s jersey will be the fifth retired by the Avs (joining Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Patrick Roy and Ray Bourque).
It’ll also be the ninth in Colorado/Quebec history (the Nordiques honored Peter Stastny, Michel Goulet, Marc Tardif and J.C. Tremblay).
The 41-year-old rearguard spent 19 years in the NHL, 17 with the Avalanche, and won a pair of Stanley Cups in Denver while serving as team captain from 2009-11.
At the time, Foote was just the second captain in Avalanche history.
Foote is still the second-highest scoring defenseman in Avalanche/Nordiques history with 259 points (56G-203A) in 967 games. He is a combined +129 in an Avs sweater, the second-highest plus/minus number in franchise annals behind Forsberg (+210).
The former Sault Ste. Marie Greyhound also starred internationally, representing Canada at three Winter Olympics and winning Gold in 2002. He also captured gold and was named to the All-Tournament team at the 2004 World Cup of Hockey.
Foote retired from the NHL following the 2010-11 season.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)