Apr 12, 2013, 4:19 PM EDT
On Friday, the Colorado Avalanche announced longtime defenseman Adam Foote will have his No. 52 raised to the Pepsi Center rafters next season.
Foote’s jersey will be the fifth retired by the Avs (joining Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Patrick Roy and Ray Bourque).
It’ll also be the ninth in Colorado/Quebec history (the Nordiques honored Peter Stastny, Michel Goulet, Marc Tardif and J.C. Tremblay).
The 41-year-old rearguard spent 19 years in the NHL, 17 with the Avalanche, and won a pair of Stanley Cups in Denver while serving as team captain from 2009-11.
At the time, Foote was just the second captain in Avalanche history.
Foote is still the second-highest scoring defenseman in Avalanche/Nordiques history with 259 points (56G-203A) in 967 games. He is a combined +129 in an Avs sweater, the second-highest plus/minus number in franchise annals behind Forsberg (+210).
The former Sault Ste. Marie Greyhound also starred internationally, representing Canada at three Winter Olympics and winning Gold in 2002. He also captured gold and was named to the All-Tournament team at the 2004 World Cup of Hockey.
Foote retired from the NHL following the 2010-11 season.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)