Apr 12, 2013, 4:19 PM EDT
On Friday, the Colorado Avalanche announced longtime defenseman Adam Foote will have his No. 52 raised to the Pepsi Center rafters next season.
Foote’s jersey will be the fifth retired by the Avs (joining Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Patrick Roy and Ray Bourque).
It’ll also be the ninth in Colorado/Quebec history (the Nordiques honored Peter Stastny, Michel Goulet, Marc Tardif and J.C. Tremblay).
The 41-year-old rearguard spent 19 years in the NHL, 17 with the Avalanche, and won a pair of Stanley Cups in Denver while serving as team captain from 2009-11.
At the time, Foote was just the second captain in Avalanche history.
Foote is still the second-highest scoring defenseman in Avalanche/Nordiques history with 259 points (56G-203A) in 967 games. He is a combined +129 in an Avs sweater, the second-highest plus/minus number in franchise annals behind Forsberg (+210).
The former Sault Ste. Marie Greyhound also starred internationally, representing Canada at three Winter Olympics and winning Gold in 2002. He also captured gold and was named to the All-Tournament team at the 2004 World Cup of Hockey.
Foote retired from the NHL following the 2010-11 season.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)