Apr 12, 2013, 4:19 PM EST
On Friday, the Colorado Avalanche announced longtime defenseman Adam Foote will have his No. 52 raised to the Pepsi Center rafters next season.
Foote’s jersey will be the fifth retired by the Avs (joining Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Patrick Roy and Ray Bourque).
It’ll also be the ninth in Colorado/Quebec history (the Nordiques honored Peter Stastny, Michel Goulet, Marc Tardif and J.C. Tremblay).
The 41-year-old rearguard spent 19 years in the NHL, 17 with the Avalanche, and won a pair of Stanley Cups in Denver while serving as team captain from 2009-11.
At the time, Foote was just the second captain in Avalanche history.
Foote is still the second-highest scoring defenseman in Avalanche/Nordiques history with 259 points (56G-203A) in 967 games. He is a combined +129 in an Avs sweater, the second-highest plus/minus number in franchise annals behind Forsberg (+210).
The former Sault Ste. Marie Greyhound also starred internationally, representing Canada at three Winter Olympics and winning Gold in 2002. He also captured gold and was named to the All-Tournament team at the 2004 World Cup of Hockey.
Foote retired from the NHL following the 2010-11 season.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 141
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 116
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (142)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (116)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)