Apr 12, 2013, 2:29 PM EDT
Yesterday, Ottawa snapped its longest losing streak of the season.
Today, another positive development.
The club announced that forward Milan Michalek has been given the green light to play, and is primed to suit up tonight against New Jersey — which would be his first game since undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery on Mar. 19.
Michalek actually hasn’t played in a game since Mar. 8 — a 3-2 win over the Rangers — and has been limited to just 15 games all told this season because of his wonky knee.
Despite that, he’s still managed to put up good numbers, recording 2G-8A-10PTS in those 15 games.
The 28-year-old winger was Ottawa’s leading scorer last season, posting a career-best 35 tallies while averaging a career-best 19:33 time on ice per game.
And his return to the lineup couldn’t come at a better time.
The Sens snapped a five-game losing streak on Thursday with a 3-1 win over Philly, but are still struggling to score goals.
Ottawa sits 23rd in the NHL in goals per game (2.38) and has just 10 goals in its last six contests.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 2
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)