Apr 12, 2013, 2:29 PM EDT
Yesterday, Ottawa snapped its longest losing streak of the season.
Today, another positive development.
The club announced that forward Milan Michalek has been given the green light to play, and is primed to suit up tonight against New Jersey — which would be his first game since undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery on Mar. 19.
Michalek actually hasn’t played in a game since Mar. 8 — a 3-2 win over the Rangers — and has been limited to just 15 games all told this season because of his wonky knee.
Despite that, he’s still managed to put up good numbers, recording 2G-8A-10PTS in those 15 games.
The 28-year-old winger was Ottawa’s leading scorer last season, posting a career-best 35 tallies while averaging a career-best 19:33 time on ice per game.
And his return to the lineup couldn’t come at a better time.
The Sens snapped a five-game losing streak on Thursday with a 3-1 win over Philly, but are still struggling to score goals.
Ottawa sits 23rd in the NHL in goals per game (2.38) and has just 10 goals in its last six contests.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 33
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)