Apr 11, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
For making “reckless elbow contact” with the side of Boston forward Brad Marchand‘s head on Wednesday night, New Jersey defenseman Anton Volchenkov has been suspended four games by the NHL’s Department of Player Safety.
Here’s Brendan Shanahan with the explanation:
Under the terms of the CBA, Volchenkov will forfeit $91,891.88. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Marchand was forced to leave the game and is being assessed today.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5