Apr 11, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
For making “reckless elbow contact” with the side of Boston forward Brad Marchand‘s head on Wednesday night, New Jersey defenseman Anton Volchenkov has been suspended four games by the NHL’s Department of Player Safety.
Here’s Brendan Shanahan with the explanation:
Under the terms of the CBA, Volchenkov will forfeit $91,891.88. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Marchand was forced to leave the game and is being assessed today.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 22
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 52
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39