Apr 11, 2013, 1:50 PM EST
For making “reckless elbow contact” with the side of Boston forward Brad Marchand‘s head on Wednesday night, New Jersey defenseman Anton Volchenkov has been suspended four games by the NHL’s Department of Player Safety.
Here’s Brendan Shanahan with the explanation:
Under the terms of the CBA, Volchenkov will forfeit $91,891.88. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Marchand was forced to leave the game and is being assessed today.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 43
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32