Apr 11, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
For making “reckless elbow contact” with the side of Boston forward Brad Marchand‘s head on Wednesday night, New Jersey defenseman Anton Volchenkov has been suspended four games by the NHL’s Department of Player Safety.
Here’s Brendan Shanahan with the explanation:
Under the terms of the CBA, Volchenkov will forfeit $91,891.88. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Marchand was forced to leave the game and is being assessed today.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)