Apr 11, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
For making “reckless elbow contact” with the side of Boston forward Brad Marchand‘s head on Wednesday night, New Jersey defenseman Anton Volchenkov has been suspended four games by the NHL’s Department of Player Safety.
Here’s Brendan Shanahan with the explanation:
Under the terms of the CBA, Volchenkov will forfeit $91,891.88. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Marchand was forced to leave the game and is being assessed today.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)