Apr 11, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
Now, we’re finding out just how serious it is.
After learning Pitkanen would be lost for the year with a broken left calcaneus bone (heel), the Washington Times reports the 29-year-old basically shattered the bone into pieces.
According to the Times’ Stephen Whyno, Pitkanen broke his calcaneus in eight places, a similar injury to the one ex-Washington forward Pat Peake suffered in 1996 — one that all but ended his career.
Here’s more, from the Times:
Peake played just five more games after his heel bone broke in 14 places and twisted. Pitkanen’s broke in eight places but didn’t move, Peake said. That’s considered a positive.
“Your heel bone, the best way to describe it is like an egg. So if you give it a good flick or a thump, it just kind of splinters and cracks like that,” Peake said. “And it just goes right around the whole way. That’s exactly what happened to his. It’s such an odd injury.”
Peake said it’s an injury common to construction workers who fall from two or three stories and people in car accidents who slam on the brakes. In hockey, Peake was the prime example before Pitkanen.
Peake feels his injury wasn’t handled properly and, as a result, is still feeling the effects today.
He told the Times “to this day I can’t walk the length of the mall,” but feels Pitkanen has a better chance of recovery because, unlike Peake, he’s avoiding surgery.
“Am I optimistic that Pitkanen can get back to playing? Yeah, I kind of am, as far as playing, because he’s not going to go the surgery route,” Peake said. “You just hope that obviously the medical aspect of it has come a long way.
“I know there’s some good doctors and some good people.”
It should be noted that, originally, the Hurricanes announced Pitkanen’s injury would keep him out 10-12 weeks.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 0
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 13
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)