Apr 11, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
Former Colorado Avalanche captain Joe Sakic is going into another Hall of Fame.
On Thursday, the Canada Sports Hall of Fame announced Sakic as one of the members of its 2013 induction class, the lone hockey player on this year’s list — but not the lone hockey man, as former Hockey Canada executive Murray Costello will also be inducted.
Sakic, 43, collected a stunning amount of hardware during his 21-year professional hockey career, at both the National Hockey League and International levels.
A two-time Stanley Cup winner, Sakic captured the Conn Smythe in 1996 and the Hart Trophy in 2001. He was also named to 13 NHL All-Star Games and was a three-time first team All-Star.
Internationally, he led Canada to gold at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake, capturing the tournament’s most valuable player award. He also won gold at the 1998 World Juniors, 1994 World Championships and 2004 World Cup.
Having retired at the end of the 2008-09 season, Sakic is now in full-scale honor mode.
This past November, he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in one of the most talented classes of recent memory, joining Adam Oates, Pavel Bure and Mats Sundin.
In the Canada Sports Hall of Fame, Sakic will join former Colorado teammates Patrick Roy and Ray Bourque.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)