Apr 11, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
Former Colorado Avalanche captain Joe Sakic is going into another Hall of Fame.
On Thursday, the Canada Sports Hall of Fame announced Sakic as one of the members of its 2013 induction class, the lone hockey player on this year’s list — but not the lone hockey man, as former Hockey Canada executive Murray Costello will also be inducted.
Sakic, 43, collected a stunning amount of hardware during his 21-year professional hockey career, at both the National Hockey League and International levels.
A two-time Stanley Cup winner, Sakic captured the Conn Smythe in 1996 and the Hart Trophy in 2001. He was also named to 13 NHL All-Star Games and was a three-time first team All-Star.
Internationally, he led Canada to gold at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake, capturing the tournament’s most valuable player award. He also won gold at the 1998 World Juniors, 1994 World Championships and 2004 World Cup.
Having retired at the end of the 2008-09 season, Sakic is now in full-scale honor mode.
This past November, he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in one of the most talented classes of recent memory, joining Adam Oates, Pavel Bure and Mats Sundin.
In the Canada Sports Hall of Fame, Sakic will join former Colorado teammates Patrick Roy and Ray Bourque.
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 8
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 4
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 74
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 66
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)