Apr 11, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
Former Colorado Avalanche captain Joe Sakic is going into another Hall of Fame.
On Thursday, the Canada Sports Hall of Fame announced Sakic as one of the members of its 2013 induction class, the lone hockey player on this year’s list — but not the lone hockey man, as former Hockey Canada executive Murray Costello will also be inducted.
Sakic, 43, collected a stunning amount of hardware during his 21-year professional hockey career, at both the National Hockey League and International levels.
A two-time Stanley Cup winner, Sakic captured the Conn Smythe in 1996 and the Hart Trophy in 2001. He was also named to 13 NHL All-Star Games and was a three-time first team All-Star.
Internationally, he led Canada to gold at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake, capturing the tournament’s most valuable player award. He also won gold at the 1998 World Juniors, 1994 World Championships and 2004 World Cup.
Having retired at the end of the 2008-09 season, Sakic is now in full-scale honor mode.
This past November, he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in one of the most talented classes of recent memory, joining Adam Oates, Pavel Bure and Mats Sundin.
In the Canada Sports Hall of Fame, Sakic will join former Colorado teammates Patrick Roy and Ray Bourque.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 2
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 8
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 7
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)