Apr 11, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
Former Colorado Avalanche captain Joe Sakic is going into another Hall of Fame.
On Thursday, the Canada Sports Hall of Fame announced Sakic as one of the members of its 2013 induction class, the lone hockey player on this year’s list — but not the lone hockey man, as former Hockey Canada executive Murray Costello will also be inducted.
Sakic, 43, collected a stunning amount of hardware during his 21-year professional hockey career, at both the National Hockey League and International levels.
A two-time Stanley Cup winner, Sakic captured the Conn Smythe in 1996 and the Hart Trophy in 2001. He was also named to 13 NHL All-Star Games and was a three-time first team All-Star.
Internationally, he led Canada to gold at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake, capturing the tournament’s most valuable player award. He also won gold at the 1998 World Juniors, 1994 World Championships and 2004 World Cup.
Having retired at the end of the 2008-09 season, Sakic is now in full-scale honor mode.
This past November, he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in one of the most talented classes of recent memory, joining Adam Oates, Pavel Bure and Mats Sundin.
In the Canada Sports Hall of Fame, Sakic will join former Colorado teammates Patrick Roy and Ray Bourque.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)