Apr 11, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
As general manager, Darcy Regier has been a face of the Buffalo Sabres for over a decade — but so was former coach Lindy Ruff.
The Sabres struggles over the last two seasons have been so out of place with expectations that it led to Ruff’s firing. Should it also be what ends Regier’s tenure?
Now Sabres president Ted Black has stepped into Regier’s corner despite the fact that Buffalo is on the verge of missing the playoffs for the seventh time in 11 seasons.
“My opinion of Darcy is based on my work history with him, which is two years,” Black said. “That’s how I judge him. I think the opportunities that he’s had, whether it be through free agency to the trade deadlines and the draft, I think he has done well in each of those instances.
“That doesn’t mean that I think Darcy has built a championship team right now since we’ve bought the team. I think he has used those opportunities to improve us.”
The standings don’t reflect that improvement. At the same time, Regier was able to acquire, in addition to other things, some high-end picks for the players he traded. On top of that, Buffalo has more valuable trade chips in Thomas Vanek and Ryan Miller if they decide to take the rebuilding process a step further over the summer.
Regardless of whether or not Regier stays around, perhaps years from now the trades he pulled the trigger on will be seen as the start of what was a successful rebuild.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)