Apr 11, 2013, 6:21 PM EST
After taking an elbow during Wednesday’s 5-4 win over New Jersey from Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov, Boston forward Brad Marchand has been diagnosed with a mild concussion.
Marchand, 24, has posted 16G-17A-33PTS in 38 games this season and leads all Bruins skaters in goals, points and game-winning tallies.
He’s also averaging over 17 minutes per game for just the second time in his career.
Earlier today, the NHL came down on Volchenkov with a four game suspension for “reckless elbow contact.” The veteran rearguard was also fined over $91,000 in salary.
That punishment will do little to appease the Bruins, though. Losing Marchand is a big loss for the club, though big losses are familiar territory lately.
The Bruins already without the services of concussed center Patrice Bergeron, the NHL’s reigning Selke Trophy winner, and learned today that Swedish forward Carl Soderberg’s move to Boston was blocked by Sweden’s national hockey federation.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 15
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 40
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)