Leafs’ Lupul assumes he has a concussion

Apr 11, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT

Just a few days after Toronto head coach Randy Carlyle refused to say winger Joffrey Lupul had a concussion — “no, that’s a bad word,” he told the Globe and Mail — Lupul went ahead and admitted as much himself.

“Yeah,” Lupul said on Wednesday, when asked by the Toronto Star if he assumed he suffered a concussion. “I mean, no one’s really said that word to me. But I definitely didn’t sprain my ankle.

“I think it’s safe to say I took a pretty solid blow to the head.”

Lupul, 29, hasn’t played since this hit from Flyers forwards Jay Rosehill and Adam Hall on Apr. 4:

The Leafs have been calling the ailment an “upper-body” injury over the last week and have been very cautious regarding the topic of a potential concussion.

“We don’t use that word until we’re 100 per cent sure on any of those situations medically,” Carlyle told the Globe. “The term concussion, in today’s sporting world, you want to make sure you’re 100 per cent sure before you start using that one.”

Lupul said he wasn’t certain why the Leafs were so averse to speaking about potential concussions (to be fair, they’re not the only team that does this), and didn’t know why the word wasn’t being used.

“When people say ‘concussion,’ they think of Sidney Crosby sitting out a year. Whereas I can say, right now, I feel fairly good,” he explained. “There’s obviously different severities of blows to the head. And I think it can be misconstrued.”

Lupul maintains his recovery is still in “day-to-day” mode, but says there isn’t any rush to get back into the lineup.

“I just want to make sure I’m back at 100 percent,” he said.

1. 19to77 - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Add him to the list of “everyone in the entire hockey world except for Leafs management,” then.

2. patayling - Apr 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM

“He doesn’t have a concussion, he took a hard hit to the head so he’s speaking gibberish!”

3. tatdue - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Wow Halford, I’d expect stupidity like this from O’Brien or one of the stupid Toronto journalists but not you? The article that you used in this blog actually had a lot of good stuff about the Toronto organization in it but you chose to take the National Inquirer hack job approach instead. If I wanted to read crap like that I’d just go to sportsnet.com and read Michael Grange’s stuff. I’m done here, it’s back to the CBC and TSN for me….have a nice day though….. :)

• Mike Halford - Apr 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Um, ok.

4. cameltoews - Apr 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM

We don’t want your ass here anyway

5. cameltoews - Apr 11, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I don’t understand people who think its ok to just bash someone else’s work. Are there grammatical errors sometimes? Sure. Maybe you don’t agree with someone’s point of view? Sometimes. But to just come on here to tell them their article sucks, get the f*ck out of here. I would love to see the papers you wrote in college if you even went. If you don’t like it why don’t you get off your ass and write hockey articles for a major network. I’m sick of people being so negative bashing someone personally and not about hockey at all. Get a life dude.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches