Apr 11, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT
Just a few days after Toronto head coach Randy Carlyle refused to say winger Joffrey Lupul had a concussion — “no, that’s a bad word,” he told the Globe and Mail — Lupul went ahead and admitted as much himself.
“Yeah,” Lupul said on Wednesday, when asked by the Toronto Star if he assumed he suffered a concussion. “I mean, no one’s really said that word to me. But I definitely didn’t sprain my ankle.
“I think it’s safe to say I took a pretty solid blow to the head.”
Lupul, 29, hasn’t played since this hit from Flyers forwards Jay Rosehill and Adam Hall on Apr. 4:
The Leafs have been calling the ailment an “upper-body” injury over the last week and have been very cautious regarding the topic of a potential concussion.
“We don’t use that word until we’re 100 per cent sure on any of those situations medically,” Carlyle told the Globe. “The term concussion, in today’s sporting world, you want to make sure you’re 100 per cent sure before you start using that one.”
Lupul said he wasn’t certain why the Leafs were so averse to speaking about potential concussions (to be fair, they’re not the only team that does this), and didn’t know why the word wasn’t being used.
“When people say ‘concussion,’ they think of Sidney Crosby sitting out a year. Whereas I can say, right now, I feel fairly good,” he explained. “There’s obviously different severities of blows to the head. And I think it can be misconstrued.”
Lupul maintains his recovery is still in “day-to-day” mode, but says there isn’t any rush to get back into the lineup.
“I just want to make sure I’m back at 100 percent,” he said.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)