Apr 11, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
The 23-year-old goalie made 43 stops in the Capitals 3-1 win over the fading Carolina Hurricanes. That’s six straight wins for the Capitals, as they maintained their lead in the Southeast Division.
“He [Braden Holtby] was outstanding throughout the whole game,” said Capitals defenseman Mike Green on the play of Holtby.
“Even in the last five to 10 minutes he made some saves that should have been goals.”
The Capitals also maintained their dominance over their Southeast rivals. The win over Carolina gives Washington a 13-3-0 record on their division rivals.
That’s a huge reason for why they’ve jumped back into the thick of the playoff picture.
Against the Atlantic Division, the Capitals have a record of 4-9-2. Against the Northeast Division, they have a 5-5-0 record.
“It’s been our saving grace this year,” Holtby told the Washington Post. “It’s been lucky that we’ve got to play those teams so much, but at the same time, we’ve done a good job with them and we haven’t taken a lot of those games lightly because we know how important they are.”
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 0
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 47
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 22
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)