Apr 11, 2013, 1:39 AM EDT
Whenever a player utters bold, negative words about his team, he faces enormous pressure to perform. Jean-Sebastien Giguere and the Colorado Avalanche responded to the veteran goalie’s rant on Wednesday, beating the Anaheim Ducks 4-1.
Giguere was pleased with everyone’s efforts so far, as he told the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater.
“I was happy with the answer. That was the best game we’ve played in a while,” Gigure said. “I don’t know if what I said had anything to do with it. Maybe it did.”
Still, he told Dater that he’s looking for a response that lasts the rest of this season, not just one game.
Avalanche announcer and former player Mark Rycroft likely captured the thoughts of many Avs fans when he said, “I just wish he’d done it 20 games ago.”
The 35-year-old goalie discussed the burden he placed on himself going into tonight’s game with the OC Register’s Eric Stephens.
“Whenever you speak up, you kind of expose yourself to criticism,” Giguere said. “You have to respond yourself. You can’t just say stuff and not show up the next day. I’m just as part of the problem as all of the other guys and I have to be part of the solution.”
Like his team, Giguere was … at least for one night.
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)