Apr 11, 2013, 1:39 AM EST
Whenever a player utters bold, negative words about his team, he faces enormous pressure to perform. Jean-Sebastien Giguere and the Colorado Avalanche responded to the veteran goalie’s rant on Wednesday, beating the Anaheim Ducks 4-1.
Giguere was pleased with everyone’s efforts so far, as he told the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater.
“I was happy with the answer. That was the best game we’ve played in a while,” Gigure said. “I don’t know if what I said had anything to do with it. Maybe it did.”
Still, he told Dater that he’s looking for a response that lasts the rest of this season, not just one game.
Avalanche announcer and former player Mark Rycroft likely captured the thoughts of many Avs fans when he said, “I just wish he’d done it 20 games ago.”
The 35-year-old goalie discussed the burden he placed on himself going into tonight’s game with the OC Register’s Eric Stephens.
“Whenever you speak up, you kind of expose yourself to criticism,” Giguere said. “You have to respond yourself. You can’t just say stuff and not show up the next day. I’m just as part of the problem as all of the other guys and I have to be part of the solution.”
Like his team, Giguere was … at least for one night.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 7
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 12
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)