Apr 11, 2013, 1:39 AM EDT
Whenever a player utters bold, negative words about his team, he faces enormous pressure to perform. Jean-Sebastien Giguere and the Colorado Avalanche responded to the veteran goalie’s rant on Wednesday, beating the Anaheim Ducks 4-1.
Giguere was pleased with everyone’s efforts so far, as he told the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater.
“I was happy with the answer. That was the best game we’ve played in a while,” Gigure said. “I don’t know if what I said had anything to do with it. Maybe it did.”
Still, he told Dater that he’s looking for a response that lasts the rest of this season, not just one game.
Avalanche announcer and former player Mark Rycroft likely captured the thoughts of many Avs fans when he said, “I just wish he’d done it 20 games ago.”
The 35-year-old goalie discussed the burden he placed on himself going into tonight’s game with the OC Register’s Eric Stephens.
“Whenever you speak up, you kind of expose yourself to criticism,” Giguere said. “You have to respond yourself. You can’t just say stuff and not show up the next day. I’m just as part of the problem as all of the other guys and I have to be part of the solution.”
Like his team, Giguere was … at least for one night.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 8
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 4
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 28
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)