Apr 11, 2013, 1:39 AM EDT
Whenever a player utters bold, negative words about his team, he faces enormous pressure to perform. Jean-Sebastien Giguere and the Colorado Avalanche responded to the veteran goalie’s rant on Wednesday, beating the Anaheim Ducks 4-1.
Giguere was pleased with everyone’s efforts so far, as he told the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater.
“I was happy with the answer. That was the best game we’ve played in a while,” Gigure said. “I don’t know if what I said had anything to do with it. Maybe it did.”
Still, he told Dater that he’s looking for a response that lasts the rest of this season, not just one game.
Avalanche announcer and former player Mark Rycroft likely captured the thoughts of many Avs fans when he said, “I just wish he’d done it 20 games ago.”
The 35-year-old goalie discussed the burden he placed on himself going into tonight’s game with the OC Register’s Eric Stephens.
“Whenever you speak up, you kind of expose yourself to criticism,” Giguere said. “You have to respond yourself. You can’t just say stuff and not show up the next day. I’m just as part of the problem as all of the other guys and I have to be part of the solution.”
Like his team, Giguere was … at least for one night.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 12
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 21
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 32
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)