Apr 11, 2013, 9:58 PM EST
A group of retired National Hockey Players, including Ryan VandenBussche, took part in a brain study at Toronto’s Rotman Research Institute at Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care, as per an article in the Globe and Mail.
“Today, we’re learning a lot more about the effects of head trauma in later years, and I’m in the Baycrest study because I want to stay on top of the knowledge that is coming out,” VandenBussche told the Globe and Mail.
“I want to help myself, and if I can provide information that others in the future can use to learn, I really want to do that.”
VandenBussche entered the NHL during the 1996-97 season and was known more as an enforcer, with 702 penalty minutes in 310 games in the league.
Studies into concussions continue to expose the long-term and potentially devastating effects of head trauma.
In September of 2010, after he had passed away, Bob Probert’s brain was donated to Sports Legacy Institute.
The study showed Probert had Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, a degenerative brain disease.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)