Apr 11, 2013, 9:58 PM EDT
A group of retired National Hockey Players, including Ryan VandenBussche, took part in a brain study at Toronto’s Rotman Research Institute at Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care, as per an article in the Globe and Mail.
“Today, we’re learning a lot more about the effects of head trauma in later years, and I’m in the Baycrest study because I want to stay on top of the knowledge that is coming out,” VandenBussche told the Globe and Mail.
“I want to help myself, and if I can provide information that others in the future can use to learn, I really want to do that.”
VandenBussche entered the NHL during the 1996-97 season and was known more as an enforcer, with 702 penalty minutes in 310 games in the league.
Studies into concussions continue to expose the long-term and potentially devastating effects of head trauma.
In September of 2010, after he had passed away, Bob Probert’s brain was donated to Sports Legacy Institute.
The study showed Probert had Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, a degenerative brain disease.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)