Apr 11, 2013, 9:10 PM EST
Crawford spoke about that decision on Thursday, and was quick to shoot down talk of a potential netminding controversy.
“No controversy at all,” Crawford told the Chicago Tribune. “We’re winning hockey games. We’re both playing well. I see it as a positive thing. That’s exactly what you want is both goalies playing well.
“You don’t want your coach to be afraid to put somebody in. I look it as a good thing for us.”
Crawford hasn’t played since a 4-3 shootout loss to St. Louis on Apr. 4. Since then, it’s been Emery’s show as the 30-year-old stopped 59 of 62 shots faced against the Preds (1-0 shutout), Preds again (5-3 win) and Wild (1-0 shutout).
That string of impressive results had some wondering if Emery was in line to challenge for the No. 1 gig, which has largely been Crawford’s for the last three seasons.
Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville stoked the fires a bit when asked if he’d consider a two-man platoon in net for the playoffs, saying “you never know,” and “I don’t want to say no.”
Statistically speaking, there’s little separating the two this season.
Crawford has received a few more starts (23) than Emery (18), but the rest of the numbers are remarkably close:
Crawford: 15-4-4, 2.01 GAA, .922 save percentage
Emery: 15-1-0, 2.02 GAA, .924 save percentage
As for what the future holds? Quenneville wasn’t offering much, other than confirming Emery and Crawford would be active.
“When we look, we have three sets of three (games) in four nights (left in the regular season). They’re both going to play,” Quenneville said. “Corey has done very well against Detroit.
“Both goalies have played well all year long. We’re making decisions from strength.”
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 9
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)