Apr 11, 2013, 5:33 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche aren’t handling Sami Aittokallio with kid gloves.
That’s the story out of Los Angeles on Thursday as the Avs announced they’ll start Aittokallio — a 20-year-old goalie from AHL Lake Erie — against the defending Stanley Cup champs tonight at Staples Center.
So, enter Aittokallio, Colorado’s fourth-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft that’s posted a 14-11-1 record with a 2.89 GAA and .903 save percentage with the Monsters this season.
While not exactly seasoned at the pro level, Aittokallio knows a thing or two about playing under difficult circumstances. Playing for Team Finland at the 2012 World Juniors, Aittokallio stopped 56 shots in a semifinal shootout loss to Sweden.
The Finns were out-shot 58-24 in the game.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)