Video: Brad Marchand leaves ice after Anton Volchenkov elbow

Apr 10, 2013, 9:42 PM EDT

The Boston Bruins’ blossoming buddy comedy/scoring duo of Jaromir Jagr and Brad Marchand might be broken up for a while, as Marchand needed help off of the ice thanks to this elbow by New Jersey Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

Volchenkov has been suspended before for throwing an illegal hit. It wouldn’t be surprising if that happens again for this one.

No word yet on how seriously Marchand is injured, but the team announced that he won’t return to the game.

1. rpiotr01 - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Terrible dirty hit… and yet… I can’t bring myself to feel bad about it for some reason…

2. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM

That’s the definition of a suspendable hit, even if it is Brad Marchand on the receiving end.

• valoisvipers - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Well I believe that Marchand stopped going forward along the boards and turned back a little and all the while Volchenkov was trying to line him up for a two arm pin into the boards. I do not think any suspension will be coming but Habsman will still be pleased either way with the fact Marchand aka Ratface to Habsman took an elbow to the head.

• imleftcoast - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Is someone not happy to see Marchand get what gives on a nightly basis? Stop crying Francis!

• sabatimus - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Those are some glasses you have on.

3. vbcaps - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:50 PM

bad hit. I do not like Marchand the “honey badger” as Milbury likes to call him but no one deserves a dirty hit

• cheesesteak75 - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Milbury = Ass Clown!

• cheesesteak75 - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Milbury is an Ass Clown!

• sewell1977 - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM

No more than Nose Face Killer

and btw, funny how PHT posted this:

Jagr: ‘It’s tough to play with me and play safe’

Then marchand eats an elbow

4. itsallniceonice - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Say what you will but Marchand doesn’t do headshots. Shame for such a talented player and for a team that takes the worst of the dirty hits more often than not. Funny how many concussions the Bruins have suffered versus how many they have given yet they are so dirty.

5. ajsjr40 - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM

No response from the Bruins!

• savoirlaire - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Revenge is a dish best served cold…

• imleftcoast - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM

It’s the last meeting of the season. Bruins don’t have to respond; Greg Campbell’s daddy always makes sure they get all the calls.

• scalfor3 - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Considering the spent half the game on the PK, I doubt if they wanted another situation Montreal situation (Chara out 17 mins).

6. sabatimus - Apr 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Blatant cheap shot.

7. withseidelinn - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM

If there isn’t a suspension for that I truly couldn’t tell you what type of hit would warrant one.

8. ruddigervancity - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Wonder if the Boston media will crow on about this being “karma” like they did with Emelin’s injury…

9. ajsjr40 - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM

The difference with Emelin was he delivered the hit and crumbled. Marchand was against the boards and took a blatant indefensible elbow.

10. ruddigervancity - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Not saying they are the same thing. Was just saying that one reaps what one sows.

• fahkinsouthiekids - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM

yea you definitely don’t get how that saying works at all. Was just saying when in rome.

• ruddigervancity - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM

What are you even talking about? You don’t think “reap what you sow” is applicable to Marchand being on the receiving end of a dirty hit? Google it.

• supercoop8 - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Is that the principle that keeps Kesler plagued by injuries??

11. lordstanley65 - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I can’t believe I’m hearing this kind of garbage from so-called hockey fans. I don’t care WHO is is, no one deserves a shot like that. In Marchand’s defense, sure he’s a sneaky cuss, but he’s never pulled such a dirty move as that. You people amaze me.

• sabatimus - Apr 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Ulf Samuelsson. I fricking clapped when Tie Domi suckered his face in.

• lordstanley65 - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Well..OK…but besides that…you get my point!

• ruddigervancity - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Go to YouTube and search for “brad Marchand dirty” and you’ll find about 10 videos of him doing garbage like this – preying on people assuming that he wouldnt stoop to the level he eventually stoops to. I don’t wish injury on anyone, but I have no pity for a weasel who gets a taste of his own medicine.

• scalfor3 - Apr 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Marchand has cleaned up his game a bit and even during his “questionable” days never delivered anything close to that hit.

Of course, a cynic could claim that it’s because he’s too short to reach anyones head, but I digress

12. thehighcountrybear - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Milbury’s right…cheap and dirty!

Two games, four if Marchand has a lost time injury.

13. upyourstodd - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM

You people are embarrassing.

14. omegalh - Apr 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM

A Messier special. Should be 10 games at a minimum. He elbowed and drove upwards.

15. mp1131211 - Apr 11, 2013 at 5:30 AM

Maybe the bruins didn’t respond because Marchand is so dirty that they just figured some age old score had been settled.

And, btw, no one, even a rat weasel like this dirt bag, deserves a possible career ender like that.

16. gallyhatch - Apr 11, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Wow, I don’t know if the hatred for Marchand & the Bruins is more a reflection of the team, or the people who hate them. (personally I think it’s the latter, but that’s an easy conclusion to come to being a Bruins fan)

Marchand has definitely done some dirty stuff in his career, but he has turned his game around. I challenge anyone on here to show me one questionable play by Marchand this year. I say they don’t exist, he’s playing a cleaner game.

@ Leftcoast, I LOVE hearing you bring up daddy Campbell, it’s two years later & you are still crying about it. I would say get over it, but I like your comments. They say everything we need to know about you. Keep them coming please.

17. drewsylvania - Apr 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Anyone who thinks Marchand is still dirty hadn’t watched many Bruins games this season. Sure, he’s pulled a lot of crap, (especially clips), but he’s done very little in that department this season.

Despite winning, the Bruins are just dysfunctional right now. They need to coalesce soon, or they will be swept.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches