Apr 10, 2013, 12:26 AM EDT
Reality may be setting in on the Philadelphia Flyers’ slim – very slim, at this point – playoff hopes.
A 4-1 loss to the New York Islanders – also in search of a post-season spot and currently among the top eight teams in the Eastern Conference – Tuesday night may have in fact ruined any chance the Flyers have qualifying for the post-season.
The Flyers now sit 12th in the East, and are five points back of the New York Rangers for the final playoff spot. The Flyers only have nine games remaining in their schedule in order to make a charge. Time is running out.
Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia summed it up perfectly in his post-game recap: “They almost need a miracle.”
“Probably,” Flyers forward Scott Hartnell told CSN Philly. “We know where we sit and how big this game was. “You’re trying to do the right thing when you’re working hard and create things and stuff like that.
“There are times and places where, like the last minute of a hockey game or a period, where you need to make a smart play.
“Seems like when we make a mistake it always goes in our net and we’re always frustrated and the heads go down and it goes on from there.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)