Apr 10, 2013, 12:26 AM EDT
Reality may be setting in on the Philadelphia Flyers’ slim – very slim, at this point – playoff hopes.
A 4-1 loss to the New York Islanders – also in search of a post-season spot and currently among the top eight teams in the Eastern Conference – Tuesday night may have in fact ruined any chance the Flyers have qualifying for the post-season.
The Flyers now sit 12th in the East, and are five points back of the New York Rangers for the final playoff spot. The Flyers only have nine games remaining in their schedule in order to make a charge. Time is running out.
Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia summed it up perfectly in his post-game recap: “They almost need a miracle.”
“Probably,” Flyers forward Scott Hartnell told CSN Philly. “We know where we sit and how big this game was. “You’re trying to do the right thing when you’re working hard and create things and stuff like that.
“There are times and places where, like the last minute of a hockey game or a period, where you need to make a smart play.
“Seems like when we make a mistake it always goes in our net and we’re always frustrated and the heads go down and it goes on from there.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)