Apr 10, 2013, 12:26 AM EST
Reality may be setting in on the Philadelphia Flyers’ slim – very slim, at this point – playoff hopes.
A 4-1 loss to the New York Islanders – also in search of a post-season spot and currently among the top eight teams in the Eastern Conference – Tuesday night may have in fact ruined any chance the Flyers have qualifying for the post-season.
The Flyers now sit 12th in the East, and are five points back of the New York Rangers for the final playoff spot. The Flyers only have nine games remaining in their schedule in order to make a charge. Time is running out.
Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia summed it up perfectly in his post-game recap: “They almost need a miracle.”
“Probably,” Flyers forward Scott Hartnell told CSN Philly. “We know where we sit and how big this game was. “You’re trying to do the right thing when you’re working hard and create things and stuff like that.
“There are times and places where, like the last minute of a hockey game or a period, where you need to make a smart play.
“Seems like when we make a mistake it always goes in our net and we’re always frustrated and the heads go down and it goes on from there.”
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 62
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (144)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)