Apr 10, 2013, 12:26 AM EDT
Reality may be setting in on the Philadelphia Flyers’ slim – very slim, at this point – playoff hopes.
A 4-1 loss to the New York Islanders – also in search of a post-season spot and currently among the top eight teams in the Eastern Conference – Tuesday night may have in fact ruined any chance the Flyers have qualifying for the post-season.
The Flyers now sit 12th in the East, and are five points back of the New York Rangers for the final playoff spot. The Flyers only have nine games remaining in their schedule in order to make a charge. Time is running out.
Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia summed it up perfectly in his post-game recap: “They almost need a miracle.”
“Probably,” Flyers forward Scott Hartnell told CSN Philly. “We know where we sit and how big this game was. “You’re trying to do the right thing when you’re working hard and create things and stuff like that.
“There are times and places where, like the last minute of a hockey game or a period, where you need to make a smart play.
“Seems like when we make a mistake it always goes in our net and we’re always frustrated and the heads go down and it goes on from there.”
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)