Apr 10, 2013, 12:26 AM EDT
Reality may be setting in on the Philadelphia Flyers’ slim – very slim, at this point – playoff hopes.
A 4-1 loss to the New York Islanders – also in search of a post-season spot and currently among the top eight teams in the Eastern Conference – Tuesday night may have in fact ruined any chance the Flyers have qualifying for the post-season.
The Flyers now sit 12th in the East, and are five points back of the New York Rangers for the final playoff spot. The Flyers only have nine games remaining in their schedule in order to make a charge. Time is running out.
Tim Panaccio of CSN Philadelphia summed it up perfectly in his post-game recap: “They almost need a miracle.”
“Probably,” Flyers forward Scott Hartnell told CSN Philly. “We know where we sit and how big this game was. “You’re trying to do the right thing when you’re working hard and create things and stuff like that.
“There are times and places where, like the last minute of a hockey game or a period, where you need to make a smart play.
“Seems like when we make a mistake it always goes in our net and we’re always frustrated and the heads go down and it goes on from there.”
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 5
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 16
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Pittsburgh releases Daniel Carcillo from tryout (24)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)